Skip to main content
Topic: 2.3 oil leaK, HEAD GASKET? (Read 1336 times) previous topic - next topic

2.3 oil leaK, HEAD GASKET?

87 2.3 TC.....I have a massive oil leak on the LR of my cyl head. valve cover area is dry, oil feed line is dry, oil pressure sensor is dry, looks like it coming from the head gasket. can they leak oil there?
-pete
july/88 turbo coupe auto

Reply #1
There is an oil passage at the drivers side rear of the engine that feeds the head. If the gasket is compromised there it will leak oil. I personally have only seen this one time when a head warped from overheating. Normally it is the turbo feed line. But if the leak is as big as you say pin pointing it should be easy. Most likely the O ringed portion of the gasket blew out and is causing the leak. But this is very rare. Check it out thoroughly. But if the oil is coming between the block and head that is a give away as to it's origin.  Good Luck
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #2
hmm. sound like what i got going on.  its dry above the gasket, wet ALL below it, and there is even oil all the way to the ABS motor/ reservoir thing. like its spraying out. a five minute drive produces a coffee can lid size oil spot
-pete
july/88 turbo coupe auto

Reply #3
I agree with Tom...very rare...but it happens...how many miles?

How long have you owned the TC? Stock?

Travis

Reply #4
156k  miles. stock and never been apart other than timing belt than i can tell. i have played with the boost some. otherwise runs fine, oil pressure is always good. i have had it for a couple years and put 6k miles on it
-pete
july/88 turbo coupe auto

Reply #5
Dry the area up as best you can, then have someone start the car while you look to see if you can spot the leak. My money's on a cracked turbo oil feed line. They have a tight bend right were they come out of the distribution block that's threaded into the head. Over time, they can and will crack.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

Reply #6
i havent looked at it while its running, but i can see the oil feed line , it does have a tight bend. but its dry as a bone there. i figured it was that too, as they are known to crack.  i am adding oil to it weekely until i cant get it back up on the hoist.
-pete
july/88 turbo coupe auto