Skip to main content
Topic: My experience setting records in a '86 Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker (ex-Marty Buth T-Bird (Read 3732 times) previous topic - next topic

My experience setting records in a '86 Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker (ex-Marty Buth T-Bird

I posted this over on turbofords but forgot to post here on my favorite T-Bird site. So the news is a little late, but I thought the die hard T-Bird guys would enjoy hearing some good news about a 4-eye,  4-cylinder Bird racing in a sea of V-8s. :D

I bought this '86 2.3 Turbo Coupe turn-key from former owner Marty Buth in Dec. 2012 and set out on a mission  the weekend of May 25-26, 2013 at Bowling Green, KY at the NHRA Sportsnationals to set the NHRA Q/SA record with it.
He agreed the day I bought it that he would help set the record and help with the tech teardown.

We set the car to weigh 3290 lbs. with me in it.  That was 10 lbs heavy over the minimum of 3280 for the class.
The index for Q/SA is 13.80.
The current record for Q/SA is (was) 12.80 and 99 mph.

I would need to run a 12.79 or quicker to set the record.
Our first pass was Sat. morning sometime around 10:00 am.
The car ran a 12.36 @ 106 mph. (which made it the # 2 qualifier at 1.438 under)
The # 1 qualifier was Gary Summers with his T/S 1978 Mustang 302 running 1.636 seconds under.

The backup run has to be plus or minus 1 % of the 12.36 in order for the 12.36 to be official.

A few hours later I rolled the car out of the staging lanes into the burnout box and noticed the water temp was cooler than the first run.

Well, the car ran a 12.57 @ 105 mph....outside of the 1 % limit. Since the 12.57 was quicker than the current record and not within the 1 % backup, then the 12.57 stands as the official record.

Note: The AFR data logger later showed the EFI system was in power enrichment mode on that 12.57 pass...that would explain why the car slowed down.
 The water temp was too cool and the car didn't like it.

Anyway, we went thru teardown o.k. and it was a waiting process because there were 4 Stockers and 3 Super Stockers in teardown but there were only 2 Div. 3 NHRA techs checking stuff.

Well, everything passed and we put the car back together by 10:00 pm.

The next day the car ran the same and I went 2 rounds in Stock and 3 rds. in Sportsman ET.

The only things on that 2.3 Turbo that are not stock would be the ATR brand header, the Comp Cams "cheater" cam (.378 valve lift), the MSD digital 6 , and the SDS EFI system.
 The upper and lower intake as well as the turbo and cylinder head are stock. (only a back cut on the valves are legal)
 Shortblock is stock except for NHRA approved TRW forged replacement pistons.

Trans is a C-4 with a low stall 8 inch convertor. The 2 step is set at 2750 rpm. ( No trans brakes allowed in Stock)
 4.56 gears in the rear with 30 inch Hoosier slicks.

That's the only trick parts on the car's suspension.
 Stock 1986 control arms, quad shocks, front struts, etc.
 All it has are air shocks. ( that explains the body twist seen in the pic below)
 It runs on 116 octane C-16 VP fuel. ( The highest octane allowed by NHRA for Stock)

The car sure is a blast to drive and I never thought a 4 banger RWD turbo car could be so much fun !

Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

My experience setting records in a '86 Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker (ex-Marty Buth T-Bird

Reply #1
Congratulations!  What a great story!  Thanks for sharing the time slips & the pics.  Pulling the front wheel is impressive with the foot brake.  A Turbo Coupe is quite a contrast to your 460 powered Birds.

Nice work on achieving your goal.

Reply #2
wow dude that's impressive .....................love it

Reply #3
That really is the coolest thing!!! Congratulations!!!! I wonder if anyone has ever thought of building a Super Stocker with one of the Turbo Coupes?

Reply #4
Sweet....I had pretty good luck with the 2.3T....Different is good.

Travis

Reply #5
Sweet , congrats!!!

Reply #6
this makes me want to run my TC while I can not afford to run the race car at this time till the wife gets out of school

Reply #7
Awesome post.  Thanks for sharing!  I love the pics "hanging the hoops".
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #8
how much boost??
Currently Birdless but never Foxless

86 Mustang GT

Reply #9
So much tire! I love it. Grats on the record

Reply #10
Congrats Alan

Very cooling car. Even better doing it with 1/2 the number of cylinders

SCT Tuned by Me(Greg@SpeedyDyno.com)

E.T. 10.28 @ 136.5 MPH 1/4 mile: List of Mods; 351 EFI, AFR heads,AOD,Rousch 13in frt brakes,11in rear brakes, AirRide Tech air ride system, Sub frame connetors,2400 RPM stall, 3.50,BBK shorties,T62PT Turbos  air to air intercooled, Home built kit.
Car weights 3705lbs without driver:burnout:

Reply #11
very good post, deserves a sticky.

Reply #12
Thanks everybody for the kind words.

That Turbo Coupe is fun to drive.

My plan is to try and set the P/SA record in mid October at Indy at the National Open  if.....the weather is good. This turbo car is not too happy with hot and humid conditions.
If myself or Marty Buth sets the P/SA record, then there will be 3 straight classes where the record is held by a turbo 2.3 Ford. ( O/SA, P/SA, and Q/SA)

Next year I am going to add a roll bar and run the car in Super Stock/ P automatic in complete Stock Eliminator trim. :D

I am currently gathering parts to build my 87 TC into a NHRA Stocker.
I'm going to pull the 460 out and put a 2.3 back into it.

This way I can enter the '87 in Stock and the '86 TC in Super Stock.
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
95 Mustang GT auto

Reply #13
Sounds like a good plan....

Travis

Reply #14
Quote from: 50RACER;417627
That really is the coolest thing!!! Congratulations!!!! I wonder if anyone has ever thought of building a Super Stocker with one of the Turbo Coupes?

My plan is to run SS next year with the car. I also would love to know if anyone has ever ran a Turbo T-Bird in Super Stock form. I don't recall any. There was one guy who ran a turbo 2.3 in a Mustang in SS.
The current index for SS/PA is 12.65 and my TC needs to weigh around 2975 lbs with me in it for that class.

I ran a 12.36 @ 106 at 3290 lbs with good air in May, so after installing the roll bar ( required for SS) it should easily qualify, although the car will still weigh around 3100 lbs.

I have been doing some research about building a SS legal 2.3T to see if there is more power to be had with that stock t3 turbo.

Quote from: Dougy_Fresh;418071
how much boost??

Sorry for the late response.
The data logger showed 25 psi for both runs.

The turbo will build more boost (28) but there is no gain due to the elevated intake air temps at that boost level.
I suppose if the intake hose and intake were covered with dry ice bags right before the run, possibly 28 psi might make a difference.
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
95 Mustang GT auto