Skip to main content
Topic: Contradictoy Instrument Cluster (Read 921 times) previous topic - next topic

Contradictoy Instrument Cluster

Question: What would cause Kitty's instrument cluster to lie?

It started after a chronic ongoing over-heating problem occurred and was finally figured out and fixed last summer.

None of the gauges tells the truth other than the speedometer/odometer which are fine. Furthermore, and the most disconcerting is that when the green Service light is On the engine seems to run fine. But when it goes out the engine runs really rough. This is with it in gear. It seems to try to smooth out a bit when out of gear. Also, when it is On the gauges read inaccurately and when it is off they 'try' to get 'better'?

This light has a mind of it's own. It does as it pleases, when it pleases. This has been going on for quite a while. I've just been driving the car normally while keeping a very close eye, ear and feel on the thing. But don't take it very far. Just keep fairly close to home, just in case...

I've taken the car to two different O'Reilly's and had them hook up their O.B.D.1s to it to try to see what's what and neither one got a reading at all. Nothing showed up on either of the meters.

With hot weather coming on fast I feel the need to find out what the 'scoop' is on thisand fix it A.S.A.P.

Thank you in advance for any and all suggestions that you may be able to come up with for me to try to remedy this situation.

OOPS! I just discovered that I may have put this in the wrong place? Please forgive me? If we can just take care of this here this one time, I promise to be more careful next time.
"Everything the Power of the World does is done in a circle." ~ Black Elk, Oglala Lakota Holy MaWikiquote

Reply #2
Quote from: Trinom;416039
what type of cluster do you have? base, buttstuffog, or full digital?

Thank you. Trinom, for your response.

This is the stock instrument cluster. The Oil and Amp are each idiot lights, the Temp and Gas are buttstuffog gauges, and the Speedo and Odo are digital.

I wonder if the results would still be the same no matter which type I have?
"Everything the Power of the World does is done in a circle." ~ Black Elk, Oglala Lakota Holy MaWikiquote

Reply #3
Integrated Voltage Regulator "RESISTANCE WIRE" ~probability this is the issue in my opinion is 90%
-requires least amount of intrusion , remove lower cover on steering column and find the large connector that is on the Ignition switch... *not the KEY switch.
-there will be a tiny gray wire that plays a roll in taking in 12v and dumping 5v into the input of the IVR.
-at the ign switch these usually corrode and over heat causing buttstuffog guage readings to lie.

"Integrated Voltage Regulator"~probabilty this is the issue in my opinion is 5%
-located on rear of instrument cluster and takes 20 seconds to replace
-getting to it takes a half day for anyone who' s not done it before.
-ask questions before you attempt cluster removeal,, ive got stuff about this in my diy link.
an IVR that is malfunctioning will also cause guages to lie but its boss its the reistance wire

Instrument cluster resistor ~proability this is the issue in my opinion is 5%
-located on rear of cluster and does take time to get to, takes about 1 min to replace
-this is where all the heat is disipated getting your voltage stepped down to 5v for your cluster.
here is a link to it as well,, added this to my diy as well.
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?34327-buttstuffog-cluster-*solve-that-heat-problem*-on-the-big-3-long-reisistor&daysprune=100

i posted a link to the ivr in my diy link for you.
..here it is
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?34364-88-3.8-TBird-Cooling/page3

Reply #5
Thanks, jcassity, for the info. I'll check into that. But, if that does require replacement, where does a person come up with a new one? Are the available as an aftermarket item? If not, then where? Also, would that have anything to do with how the engine runs?

And thanks for letting me know I posted in the right spot.

I, too, have got to get bzzzy.

L8rz!

Reply #7
read my post again, we were criss crossing posts...

i did an edit or two.

My gut says to check the bottom of the ign sw where the little resistance wire is bonded. 

that would be my first shot, its an easy cherry picking check point and is easy to repair down there as well.
you want to remove **THE VERY LEAST AMOUNT** of the resistance wire and reconnect it.

Reply #8
Thank you, jacassity, so very much for such detailed info. I really do appreciate it a lot! It may be some time before I get to the point of actually being able to use it, but it will come in real handy!