Skip to main content
Topic: 5.0L blocks the same from throtlebody to fuel injection (Read 1017 times) previous topic - next topic

5.0L blocks the same from throtlebody to fuel injection

hey guys need your help fast!!!!! i have an '84 t-bird with the 5.0L throtle body set up on it. i unfortunatly got stuck in traffic(bumper to bumper rush hour) and it overheated causing the block to crack :toilet: ...here's the big question i need this car up and running A.S.A.P. it is my only way to and from work and i've only got the next two days off if i don't get this running by then i'll havew to miss work :flame: !!!!!!! all the cars in the boneyard have the full fuel injection on them are the  motors the same from the intake on down the same  so i can just trade out the intakes and the sensors and get the thing running or are the heads  or any thing else different that would stop me from making this work ???? i really need to know this info fast so please respond if you know.
                                                  thanks in advance roger phillips
I love it when a plan comes together!!!-Hanibal Smith (A-Team)

Re: 5.0L blocks the same from throtlebody to fuel injection

Reply #1
The sefi 302 engines either used the E6 head or the E7 heads (GT40's and p's too, big woop).  You're old engine used an E4 head or something similar; anyways they would be comparable to an E7 head.  I believe all passenger car 5.0 sefi engines (86 on up) were roller cammed.  your 84 engine has a regular ol' hydraulic flat tappet camshaft.  A truck engine will have a flat tappet cam (at least up till the early-mid 90's), but the firing order would be different (HO, or 351 firing order)....I haven't a clue on how agressive the profile would be on one of those truck cams, but I would venture to say that they are much tamer than a stock HO roller camshaft out of a mustang or lincoln lsc.  I would say your best bet would be to use an F-150 based 302 from 1987-early 90's, and then change the firing order to a 351 pattern (13726548).  I think that would be your closest engine match, if you HAD to use an sefi donor.  Everything SHOULD phyisically bolt right on.  There may be a difference in engine imbalance between 84 and the later 80's sefi engines (I don't remember anymore), so I would strongly suggest you find your donor motor out of a truck that came equipped with an automatic transmission, so you'd have the flywheel that came with the engine.  your old accessory brackets should bolt right on as well, but you'll have to either re-use the water pump off your old engine, or go out and buy a new (re-manned) water pump for your year of car.  Remember that all the serpentine-belted 302's run a reverse-rotation water pump.

One more thing to consider...the roller cammed 302's used a hardened iron distributor gear.  I don't think your distributor has the hardened gear, so if it is used in an engine that has a roller camshaft it may wear out quickly.  Since the truck 302 used a flat tappet camshaft, they may not have needed the hardened iron distributor gear, but I really don't know that for sure.  Perhaps somone else knows what a late 80's/early 90's F-150 302 used for a dist. gear?  If you have to use a passenger car 5.0, you could always buy a remanned distributor for an 85 mustang GT 5-speed, that is the only way one can purchase a duraspark II distributor with a hardened dist. gear built to take the roller camshafts.  You could also try to press off the old gear and put on a hardened version.

good luck

Joe

Reply #2
buy a $100 POS and drive that for a couple of weeks.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #3
The truck engine will be totally compatable with the '84 CFI system. They used NON roller cams and the std 15426378 firing order, till they switched to Mass Air in the early '90s.

The '85-'91 Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, and BIG Lincoln 5.0 engine will be the easiest to find. The '86-up are roller camed, but as long as you use it's distributor everything will be fine. Same holds true for the '86-'88 Bird/Cougar 5.0