Skip to main content
Topic: Last Hoorah (Read 2090 times) previous topic - next topic

Last Hoorah

Last run of the 5.0 in the TC, still tries even with blown head gasket, started pulling it apart a few minutes later... She should be getting new powerplant in the next couple of weeks, no unless a deal I'm waiting on doesn't work out, it won't be the 331... Stay tuned for updates...

Sorry about the video quality basically was interested in the sound, I don't own a decent camera...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWp4LT86psY&feature=youtu.be

Last Hoorah

Reply #1
Finally got the replacement for the kenmoore. Good to hear Tom can't wait to see it done

Last Hoorah

Reply #2
Update!!!

The wife just bought a nice Cannon 12Mp camera that takes video as well, my next video should be much better(assuming I can figure out to use the thing)...

Last Hoorah

Reply #4
I suspect the juice was a contributing factor but not directly...

The fire ring burned on #3 cylinder several years back, leaking compression into the water jacket and I had to have the TFS heads cut slightly to clean up the burn(had not sprayed in over a year & not since)... Problem was the block didn't look quite right but rather than pull a otherwise good engine, I took a chance on the gasket sealing... Proved to be a good decision as it held for a little over six years before it blew again, this time completely between #3 & #4 with no coolant loss(thrust clearance is over .100, was on it's last legs anyway)... If she had of held for maybe five more passes, could have retired honorably but no, had to be a slut and blow on the second round of eliminations at last race of year... I even won the round because it blew on top end, loosing power at the finish line, but now running on six wasn't much chance I could continue...

Last Hoorah

Reply #5
Thats a cool sig Tom
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Hoorah

Reply #6
Idles a little lumpy ;).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Last Hoorah

Reply #7
Update #2

Picked up some goodies today, fresh 306 with Pro Comp heads, E-brock Performer RPM cam & intake, 70mm TB...

Gonna pull it down to the short block to verify the work & condition, it's been setting about three years...

Also got a couple baskets of goodies in the deal, here's some of the stuff... That's a set of new 30Lb inj and matching MAF...

Still up in the air as what engine is going in the Bird... Since one of the Trick Flow heads probably needs welded to repair burn and then resurfaced, I may use the Pro Comps on the 331 and sell the TWs, gonna depend how the one with bad gasket looks like when I pull them... Hopefully I'll see in a couple of days, trans is ready to drop(have a fresh Lentech VB AOD & 3500 RPM stall converter to go back in), should have the engine out Monday... Yeah I'm pulling them separate as I'm trying to preserve my fully charged A/C...

I'm also working on a 70s Ford product(actually a Mercury) with 8:1 CR, smogger 302, one of the engines will find it's way into it...

Last Hoorah

Reply #8
Subscribing. :)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Last Hoorah

Reply #9
Well due to various things taking my time, the engine is still in the car... I have pulled the heads and the area between the cylinders on the right head is only slightly damaged, should not take more than a .005 cut to clean it up again...

Soooo it's gonna be build the 331 as originally planned, reusing the TW heads & Stage 1 cam with the 306 going into the '72 Comet... The Birdie will also get a fresh AOD with 3500 stall, was using a 2600 with the 5.0...

Ought to be peppy coming out of the hole... :burnout:

The "slightly" leaking HG...

Last Hoorah

Reply #10
Looks like it was about to go between cylinders 2 and 3 also. Good deal cant wait to see this one back out on the track

Last Hoorah

Reply #11
Quote from: 87thunderbirdBlackJack;413046
Looks like it was about to go between cylinders 2 and 3 also. Good deal cant wait to see this one back out on the track

Yeah and there's a story behind that...

When the gasket blew from #3 into the water jacket, the block showed a slight dip in the area where the fire ring seals, so I elongated the gasket holes and moved it to the edge of the cylinder bore... Strangely for a original block & pistons, the slugs are approx .003 out of the holes, so once the gasket compressed the fire ring overlapped the bore slightly and you see the result... There is a nice dent in the fire ring between #2 & #3, but it's perfect between #1 & #2... The gasket on left bank was perfect with no issues, but of course it was centered between the bores...

Engine is now out and heads are going to the machine shop in the next couple days...

The 331 short block came home today, going to install the cam, pan, front cover, etc so it'll be ready when the heads come home... Got to make up a list of the pieces I want to replace, probably going to get a set of 1.7 rockers, to give that TF Stage-1 a little more lift...

Last Hoorah

Reply #12
Subscribing...

The 3500 stall should give the old girl some real scoot...

Travis

Last Hoorah

Reply #14
Those rockers are cheap. I paid over $400 for a set of FRPP 1.6 roller rockers.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.