Skip to main content
Topic: 1985 T Bird questions (Read 766 times) previous topic - next topic

1985 T Bird questions

First off I want to thank Eric for promptly answering my question about C5 to Aod conversion. This also brought me to this site which I know will be benificial to me as I will pass on as much info as I can to others.

I'll make this brief.  Is there a way to convert the Base digital cluster to the fully electronic digital cluster? 
Does anyone know where I can find interior parts in beige IE door panels, inside trim ect?

1985 T Bird questions

Reply #1
As a matter of fact, I can help you on that.  I just finished doing exactly that on the second T-Bird I just bought.  I had a 5.0LX, and the new one was a base 5.0. I really like the LX's features, and I put a lot of functional work into the car, but the body was just too rotten.  I've been transferring LX options over for a couple of weeks, which will finish up with the engine, trans and rear this weekend.  I'll tell you exactly how I did it.

I wanted to transfer my full digital and my Automatic Climate Control. I pulled both dashes, pulled both heater plenums, and both upper heater hoses.  I swapped heater plenums and heater hoses, and I stripped the inside of the dashes.  Everything and I mean everything from the LX had to be transferred. The modules, the COMPLETE wiring harness, and all the ductwork.  Once I got the nicer one back together and back in the car, I was able to run the full digital.  I had to swap the fuel level sending unit, as the base cluster uses one that is not only a different narrower scale, but also a backwards scale.  I have to swap the oil pressure sending unit, because one again, they're backwards from one another. I'm swapping my other engine over, though, so the correct part is already on that engine.  Then there's the speedometer; my new car has 71k miles, the old one (full digital) has 180k.  No big, right? Just pull both clusters apart and swap the center module, no sweat.  Nope.  They're also different.  So either live with it, or desolder the NVRAM IC from both speedo modules, swap them and resolder.  Guess which I chose.  It worked out, though.  My full digital now works right AND shows the car's actual mileage. 

So go have at it.  Tell me how it goes.

1985 T Bird questions

Reply #2
WOW thanks. looks like a winter project. The weather is getting nicer and that sounds like alot of down time for such a short driving season. I'll keep it in mind.