Skip to main content
Topic: new issue (Read 5290 times) previous topic - next topic

new issue

I have a 88 thunderbird lx 5.0 i swapped to ho with t-5 now I just put the 255 walbro in and seem to have new problems, before the car broke down on me when you would give it gas as to not save flooring it but just giving it gas to get on down the road it would have a bad hesitation in it you could hear it trying to go but it just wouldnt go, when it broke down it kinda did the same thing but when I gave it gas to take off it just bogged out and shut off like it had ran out of gas and wouldnt crank back, I just changed the fuel pump and filter, it has a brand new msd coil and I swapped distributors out to make sure it wasnt the ingnition control module, any idea's its my only transportain so any thoughts would be excelent.

I'm almost wondering if the computer was going bad and finally went out, i swapped in a used da1
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
88 tbird lx 5.0 ho t5 swap
04 dsg gt

new issue

Reply #1
Run codes.

Check for fuel pressure, if you don't have a tester, then unhook your fuel filter line into a gas can turn the key and see how much gas your getting out of it.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

new issue

Reply #2
I dont have a code reader and i will check for fuel pressure tomorrow.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
04 dsg gt

new issue

Reply #3
You don't have a paperclip?
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

new issue

Reply #4
http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,2471.0.html

Stick a paperclip in the connector like the show. If your check engine light works, you can watch that sitting in the drivers seat. If it doesn't, get a test light, or a 12v lightbulb and hook it up as shown.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

new issue

Reply #5
seems to be getting a fair amount of fuel unhooked the filter and it sprayed me in the face eyes and all so id say it has good pressure i have not done the codes yet I swapped in a reman computer with no luck.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
04 dsg gt

new issue

Reply #6
Pull codes. Don't throw parts at it. Also the EECs VERY rarely fail so I don't know why I'm seeing so much blaming on this forum lately on them. Also fuel pressure doesn't mean a thing unless you have a gauge on the fuel system to MEASURE actual pressure.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

new issue

Reply #7
Quote from: Seek;409811
Also fuel pressure doesn't mean a think unless you have a gauge on the fuel system to MEASURE actual pressure.

This.

Cracking open a line, or pushing in the Schrader valve to "test" for fuel is pretty much useful only to determine if there is fuel pressure..unless you're a psychic, there's little use to  in doing this. If the car runs, most likely fuel pressure isn't an issue.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

new issue

Reply #8
yeah I cant get it to crank it almost acts like there is no fuel in the tank but there is around 6 gallons in it. Would a bad regulator cause this or a bad tps sensor its set at .95 i checked it today but just a thought I dont have access to alot of tools as in fuel pressure gauge and all that good stuff, I'm trying to wrap my head around how to pull the codes but can't grasp how you do it haaha, as in how to tell which code it is trowing.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
04 dsg gt

new issue

Reply #9
update guys the car isnt getting fire, as I said before I changed the distributor out which included the ignition control module, any other ideas changed coils out also. Is there a ignition relay or something?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
04 dsg gt

new issue

Reply #10
OK disconnect the 60 pin ECM plug and see if you have spark. Also test the positive side of the coil to see if you have battery at that point.  Post back with results!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

new issue

Reply #11
I will do that in the am it is cold as  out there and misting haha thanks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
04 dsg gt

new issue

Reply #12
I checked the coil tom it has power on the hot side of the connector.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
04 dsg gt

new issue

Reply #13
I believe the EEC will act different when you hold the throttle down and try cranking? I used to have issues (I forgot about this until now - perhaps I still have them...) where I'd get into a state of bad idle and then the engine would still. Trying to crank again would not start unless I went WOT and cranked it. I THINK this will try to insert more fuel, to at least account for the throttle body being open more? I thought I remember reading somewhere that the EEC senses the WOT and does something different more than just compensate for the expected airflow with the open throttle.

I'm curious if you find the engine acting any different if you try this. Does it ever sound like a couple cylinders fire once or twice?

I'm going to assume that it's not easy to get to any store. Even with low fuel pressure, after enough cranking at WOT I'd expect to hear a couple cylinders fire occasionally, as the fuel eventually adds up in the cylinders. If you do get occasional fires, it should be either fuel pressure or timing (including spark plug wires being in the wrong spots) related. If you never hear ignition, you should be looking at spark.

I'm sure if you had some time and needed the car running (you said it's your only transportation, but what's the '04 in your sig?), someone could walk you through by phone or chat diagnosing the problem so you could get your Bird up and running. I know the occasional message through the forum won't get you very far very quickly, especially if you can't easily get to stores, or don't have the money (unlikely since you're throwing parts at the car?), to get the tools needed to diagnose the problem.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

new issue

Reply #14
Actually, I remember some page I stumbled across years ago that provides a very nice list of steps to check for no-start conditions. I have NO idea what it is now. I will look. Does anyone have any idea what the EEC-IV no-start troubleshooting page is or what I am talking about?

Edit:
I can't find it...it may have been related to a forum post, but I think it was a webpage with a lot of weird formatting.

You can start here though, which seems to provide some troubleshooting steps, but the list isn't exhaustive like the one I am trying to remember: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-0l-tech/120806-fuel-injected-mustangs-crank-no-start-checklist.html

Pulling codes: http://www.amopower.com/eec-iv.htm
1988 Thunderbird Sport