Skip to main content
Topic: computer/wiring harness ? (Read 1763 times) previous topic - next topic

computer/wiring harness ?

i have a 87 bird switched to a v8 and i was told to use a computer and engine harness from a 87-93 mustang insted of the stock computer. im using a 347 with turbo what do ya think

Re: computer/wiring harness ?

Reply #1
The 87-88 bird/cougar harness should be the same as the mustang harness. They probly told you to use the mustang harness because they don't know that our cars are there sisters.The stang computer will even plug into the bird/cougar hareness.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #2
But if your car was a V6(this applies to the CFI cars), no 5.0 harness is gonna plug in. You'll need to do some splicing Bird or Stang harness. And if you use the Bird/Coug harness, you'll need to convert it to mass air(there are kits, not a big deal), where as a '89-up Stang harness is already setup for it.

Reply #3
Quote from: ipsd
The 87-88 bird/cougar harness should be the same as the mustang harness. They probly told you to use the mustang harness because they don't know that our cars are there sisters.The stang computer will even plug into the bird/cougar hareness.

:nono:  87 and 88 Are differn't from each other, and niether is the same as a mustang.

OH and if your using a 347 stroker and Turboing it you need to look elsware than a stock harness.  It will not allow enough tunabilaty.
One 88

Reply #4
what should i do if im turboing my 347 what kind of harness doesnt it have to be a stang or bird

Reply #5
Quote from: CougarSE

OH and if your using a 347 stroker and Turboing it you need to look elsware than a stock harness.  It will not allow enough tunabilaty.

:bs: Why would you say that???? Harness has nothing to do with tuneability.... I dare say 99% of the turboed/supercharged Stangs out there are using the original wiring and EEC. If its gonna be turboed it should be dynoed and custom chip burned.

Reply #6
I was implying if he is using a stock harness he is probably going to use a stock computer.  There are so many options out there for aftermarket computers and they would cost about the same as a few dyno days and a few chips.  Yes I could have worded that better.

I find it hard to believe 99% are factory equipment.
One 88

Reply #7
thanks for the help

Reply #8
Quote from: CougarSE
I find it hard to believe 99% are factory equipment.

My brother has an Incon twin turbo Mustang that runs stock computer with a twEECer on it.  Idles perfectly, gets 18mpg in the city, and puts 430-ish hp to the wheels. All on the stock wiring and computer.

http://www.tweecer.com
pro-five-oh

88 Cougar XR-7...5.0HO, T-56, and much more                             
85 Thunderbird 30th...#2471, 29k, all original and might actually stay that way