Skip to main content
Topic: 8.8 swap (Read 2051 times) previous topic - next topic

8.8 swap

I just finished swapping out my 7.5 for a an 8.8 TC rear. The whole project cost me around $400. That included buying new a set of loaded calipers.
The first thing I did when I got the rear to the shop was to build a rolling work stand for it. Then I did a little wire wheeling and pulled the diff for welding.
The gears it came with were 3.73s.

I welded this thing solid as a brick. I also pre-heated it with a torch to get better penetration.

I also cut off the ABS gear since it serves no purpose to me. Any time I can reduce rotating mass in the drive line its a good thing.

Changed the axle seals while the axles were out.

Here's the old rear after I pulled it out.

I installed new urethane bushings in the 8.8 after using a torch to melt the edges of rubber bushings and popping them out with a hammer.

After a little black spray paint and a $23 dollar chrome cover this thing was starting to look pretty good.

I was able to use the rotors that came with the rear as they looked fairly new. I purchased a new set of loaded calipers from ebay. The ones that came with the rear were pretty beat. Painted everything to keep it from rusting. I reused the hard lines from the 7.5 because i had just replaced them last year. 3/16 to 1/4 inch adapters were needed to connect the old lines to the new calipers.(sorry no pics of the lines)

Had to wrestle this heavy beast into place. Took a bit of up and down and side to side to get to bolt holes to line up on the control arms.

Took it for a road test and everything feels good. 

The only thing left now is to hook up the parking brake cables. I bought new TC right and left rear cables,  but they don't look to be compatible with the existing front cable and brackets. Hopefully I can find the parts I need for that soon. For now I guess I just cant park on any hills. I'm also going to look for a set of quad shock brackets so I can install axle stabilizers.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

8.8 swap

Reply #1
Sweet

How bad dose that thing chatter on turns ? Or do you just kick it out every time lol

In the future I would go with aftermarket axles that's a lot of stress

8.8 swap

Reply #2
I'd wager he kicks it out. A lot. lol
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

8.8 swap

Reply #3
Not much chatter this time of year with the roads being so slippery. It will definitely be noticeable on clean dry pavement. I know what to expect because all my friends have welded diffs. It can be annoying in tight parkinglot maneuvers, but not bad for wider turns. It does help get the rear to kick out and slide more predictably, which is why I welded it. I'll know in about 4 weeks when we have the first event at Lime Rock.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

8.8 swap

Reply #4
Here's the new right and left parking brake cables. If anyone has any pictures or info on the TC cable setup it would be much appreciated. The part where it connects to the calipers is cake, but I clearly dont have what I need to tie into the the cable coming from the pedal. I think I need the TC front cable and some different hardware.

8.8 swap

Reply #5
Thunderchicken found a solution to this..seems like he used Mark 7 parts...maybe that was the rear pieces that you have in that pic, but might be worth the trouble to search his thread up on it. Was 3 or 4 years ago, IIRC.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

8.8 swap

Reply #6
The cables I bought were based on the part numbers from Coolcats.net in the rear end swap section. It also said I would have to locate some other hardware, but didn't get to specific. I need to look under a turbo coupe or get advise from someone who has successfully done the conversion. If it seems like the parts are going to be difficult to obtain i might just make the parts. I'll see if I can find that thread.

8.8 swap

Reply #7
Wondering if you have an infinite supply of TIRES!!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

8.8 swap

Reply #8
I get used tires now for $3 a piece. We have an arrangement with the tire shop next door. We have so many tires in stock right now that we had to build a second loft at the shop to store them and that is now over stocked. I also have tons of Cobra-R wheels to keep them on so I dont run out at the track. We at Impulse Performance have a little saying called "zero f**ks given". We like to burn tires and generally just tear s**t up:D