Skip to main content
Topic: Can 4 lug axles be drilled for 5 lug? (Read 10925 times) previous topic - next topic

Can 4 lug axles be drilled for 5 lug?

Ok, this may be a really dumb question, but you just don't know til you ask. Is it possible to drill 4 lug axles to make them a 5 lug pattern? If so, is it a bad idea?

Reply #1
Yes, and to answer your second part: no. Several here have done it.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #2
The spacing on the 5 lug requires the hub to be welded if memory serves me. As the 4 lug winds up having one of the 5 lug holes half covered. people have dun it i do not axles are fairly cheap and why do it and most likely it will cost more than new axles any way. You cant hand drill them at home and have them spaced correctly. To answer you question i would say NO!!

And YES it is a BAD IDEA!!! :flame::hick::mullet:
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #3
Quote from: TOM Renzo;409437
The spacing on the 5 lug requires the hub to be welded if memory serves me. As the 4 lug winds up having one of the 5 lug holes half covered. people have dun it i do not axles are fairly cheap and why do it and most likely it will cost more than new axles any way. You cant hand drill them at home and have them spaced correctly. To answer you question i would say NO!!

And YES it is a BAD IDEA!!! :flame::hick::mullet:

+1

Reply #4
Lol, I didn't say it was cheaper than just getting 5 lug axles. However, I DID say it can be done, and it HAS.

Let's use my Sport for example. I could've had my stock axles welded in, then the 5 lug pattern drilled. Bought 2 1988 Grand marquis/Crown Vic rear drums, and with my existing 10" drum brake hardware, effectively had 5 lug drums, for the cost of welding/drilling, and sourcing the new drums.

For ease, I just used SN95 Stang axles (either 7.5 OR 8.8, the axles themselves are identical) knocked the ABS rings off, and used, yep, you guessed it, the older Panther car drums. 5 lug, drum brake. Done.
Yeah, some of you snobs will look down on my keeping drums, but I don't want to have to change lines, master/booster, and deal with the prop. valve.

But don't my word for whether it can/can't be done; search this very sub-forum and see the threads yourself. :flip:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #5
Here.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #6
I am going to say this with Conviction. And i do not care what others think or have dun

DO NOT RE DRILL A 4 LUG AXLE FOR A 5 BOLT PATTERN> IT IS DANGEROUS AND FOOLISH. Axles are so dam cheap i think as low as 60 Bucks. Do not do it it is DUMB. Just me.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #7
The reason I brought this up is that I have found a set of used moser 31 spline axles for $120, but they are 4 lug, and I have been looking for a set for my project. I just want them to be 5 lug. I'm not gonna try to get them if it is not practical. You folks area great resource!

Reply #8
Quote from: 50RACER;409450
The reason I brought this up is that I have found a  set of used moser 31 spline axles for $120, but they are 4 lug, and I  have been looking for a set for my project. I just want them to be 5  lug. I'm not gonna try to get them if it is not practical. You folks  area great resource!

You'll also need to change your differential, as our cars were all 28 spline...again, nothing that can't be overcame with a little $ or junkyarding. Explorers and later rangers had 31 spline diffs, most with trac loc and 3.55 gears...but then with a 31 spline rear, NO stock Mustang axle will work in YOUR car, only aftermarket axles. Ranger left sides will be too short, although 5 lug and (later years) 31 spline...

Confused yet? lol

The average joe probably shouldn't attempt it. But someone who has a drill press, and good welding skill could pull it off cheaply...and safely.

I wouldn't attempt, but someone who had the proper tools to get everything centered, properly welded, and drilled in 5, could.

Then again, Stang axles are cheap, but if you are hell bent on keeping drums as I was, you'd have to source the 10" drum backing plates, or else spend some $ on the disc brake stuff, master cylinder, brake booster, etc.

So, does it boil down to bottom dollar, or what style of brakes you plan to use afterward. If you're going to do this to say, a TC, keep in mind you'll also need to drill your rotor, as NO current Stang 5 lug rear rotor will work with TC's caliper setup, as the TC had vented, Stangs had solid. Cobras did have vented, as did Mark 7, but again, they also had different calipers, and the Cobra stuff will require a 17" wheel, and most likely and 18 incher after '96 or 97.

So if you've got access to a full-on automotive shop and the know-how to do it safely, then do it. It's been done, and will be again.

If you want to 5 lug on the cheap to a TC rear, find backing plates from an '86 up 10 inch drum car (they'll be smooth, a lot like the Ranger's 10", but a different hat depth, not much, but enough to be an issue) the '88 year Panther car drums...and...slap them on.

It works. I've got this setup on my Sport with a TC rear. You will also need 10 small flat washers, (I have the thickness wrote down here somewhere, I'll edit this when I find the measurements) to space the drum slightly off the backing plate.
This is it.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #9
It is on an 87 TC and I have planned on drilling the rotors just to be able to keep the current disc brake setup. BTW, the motor is not a TC, but a 351W that is making about 550 hp. That's why I want the 31 spline. This is a strictly drag car project, but I am a victim of the current economy so I am trying to do this as inexpensively as possible. ThunderbirdSport302, I looked at your link showing what had been done. It was pretty interesting.

Reply #10
I already have a 31 spline spool for it. One good thing about being poor, is it gives me plenty of time to look for good deals on parts!  :)

Reply #11
Well, I would say with the Moser axles, probably just be better at that point to locate some '94-'98 Stang calipers and all the related stuff (rotors too) and mount them. There's a kit on Summit and Jegs from Ford Racing that allows you to mount the newer rear brakes on older cars. If you've got fab skills though, you could just make your own. Keep in mind though the rotors will be a solid, non vented type, if that's a consideration. Since your car is already rear disc, that's how i'd keep it. Cobra rear brakes would be an expensive option, but since you'd need new wheels anyway (unless you already have them) you could get some 18" wheels..just a thought, to keep ya going. lol
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #12
Yeah, I want to keep the TC vented rotors because of the weight difference. Less rotating weight. I have a set of Weld Drag Lites for the rear with slicks. The axles are really my last piece for the rear. If I get those, get a roll cage, a shifter, and have my C4 rebuilt I have just about everything I need to put the car together.

Reply #13
In that case, I could see why you want to drill and weld...any automotive machine shops nearby?

For that matter, you could knock out the studs, place a 5 lug rotor on the hub, take a punch, and carefully mark your new stud centers, then have someone weld in the old lug stud holes, and drill the new ones out.

No rocket science in it, in my opinion. ;)

Just one quick question...are those axles for an SN95, or a Fox Stang (fox stang axles will be too short..SN95 are just right)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #14
Quote from: TOM Renzo;409446
I am going to say this with Conviction. And i do not care what others think or have dun

DO NOT RE DRILL A 4 LUG AXLE FOR A 5 BOLT PATTERN> IT IS DANGEROUS AND FOOLISH. Axles are so dam cheap i think as low as 60 Bucks. Do not do it it is DUMB. Just me.

I agree, holes are too close together to be considered safe. Get the ranger axles and quite being cheap.