Skip to main content
Topic: This years Pinewood Derby car (Our Last) (Read 1514 times) previous topic - next topic

This years Pinewood Derby car (Our Last)

This year marks the end of an era for our family.  My son moves up from Webelo Scout to Boy Scout in a week.  This was our last Pinewood Derby.
This was a challenge as i lost all my tools in the Flood in our home, so i really had to be resourceful.  We did our best......

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Reply #1
Reminds me of the original batmobile.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

Reply #2
Quote from: bryan163;408573
Reminds me of the original batmobile.

It was a simple kit car.....i had to keep it basic as all my tools are history thanks to Sandy.....

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Reply #3
My son a bear right now, this is his second year. Last years car was modeled after a Tbird, he didn't make it far but it is sure fun to do with him.

Reply #4
That brings back fond memories of building pinewood derby cars with my son when he was in scouts. Some quality father & son time. Good luck.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 T-Bird V6 C5
91 F-150 5.0L 5spd
93 Mustang LX 351C C4
2013 Honda CRV AWD

Reply #5
I still have the pinewood derby car my Dad & I built some 40 years ago.  I see if I can dig it up and post pictures.

Reply #6
I used to put graphite on the axles and add weights if it was under the limit. Thats about all you can do to increase performance.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

Reply #7
We used split shot for fishing to try and get the weight right on the money. We would bore a cavity in the bottom of the car and glue in some weight to get it close. Then I would weigh it with the scale at the race and add enough weight to get it as close as possible without going over and put a piece of tape over the added weight to hold it in. We would make sure the wheels were snug enough on the axle to keep them from wobbling but still rotate freely. We used plenty of graphite on the axle too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
86 T-Bird V6 C5
91 F-150 5.0L 5spd
93 Mustang LX 351C C4
2013 Honda CRV AWD