Skip to main content
Topic: wiring diagram for graphic equalizer? (Read 3675 times) previous topic - next topic

wiring diagram for graphic equalizer?

I'm working on my graphic equalizer trying to fix the power button that won't stay in. At worst I'll just wire permanently on if I can't find the switch.
I'm interested in adding an auxiliary jack for an mp3 player like new stereos have. I might be able to try this if I knew which wire to splice into. Does anyone know where I could find a wiring diagram for an 88 ford graphic equalizer?

Reply #1
interior component leve or as installed in the car?

use a piece of the end of a plastic fork to wedge in the side of the button or a tooth pick to keep it pushed in... or just fix it.

for a wiring diagram of how the eq is placed and wired throughout the car, pick your year below in my sig.

Reply #2
interior component leve or as installed in the car?

use a piece of the end of a plastic fork to wedge in the side of the button or a tooth pick to keep it pushed in... or just fix it.

for a wiring diagram of how the eq is placed and wired throughout the car, pick your year below in my sig.

Reply #3
Thanks for posting the links but I couldn't find what I was looking for in the 87 link and the 88 link was a very large download.
I'm looking for the internal wiring diagram for the eq. When you open it up there are perhaps 12-15 colored wires. None of them are marked so I don't know which one to hook the aux. cable up to. Do you have any idea?
Thanks; Charlie

Reply #4
hmm,, interesting, and might i say a very well put idea to add.
I am game for investigating this because at the end of the day its going to be a simple audio jack that needs placed off to the side.

i hope a few other guy chime in on this as well.... i have a couple spare Eq's but im thinking the EQ isnt where we need to intercept the primary audo, it would likely be on the radio somewhere, i could be wrong, speculation on the design at the moment.

to your orignal question, NO i dont have component level diagrams.  I am not really sure who would but, my instinct is by luck there may be something on the web.  im checking something out now for this,, may get lucky.

Reply #5
I shoved the end of a plastic cable / zip tie on the side of the button to hold it in. Works great!

Reply #6
i have not studied aux jacks and what section the jack itself intercepts to serve as an input for an external device.
i am going to speculate that either the red circle shown or the blue circles shown are what needs intercepted for an aux jack.

hopefully an audio guru here could see the obvious,,, anyone?

Reply #7
Thanks for posting this. I have an audio guy that I'm talking to as a resource on this. That system looks a little different in that is has an amplifier but maybe the lableing on the external wires will mean something to him. I'll also ask him what wire I'd be looking for as an input. I really don't know if it's possible but I thought since I had the equalizer apart now would be the time to try it. It seems like if the equalizer is sending a signal to the stereo that you might be able to splice into one of the wires.

Reply #9
Quote from: jcassity;408328
i have not studied aux jacks and what section the jack itself intercepts to serve as an input for an external device.
i am going to speculate that either the red circle shown or the blue circles shown are what needs intercepted for an aux jack.

hopefully an audio guru here could see the obvious,,, anyone?

The red circle is the power for the EQ and the power on signal to the amp.  As for the blue circles. he probably could splice in there, but he'd have to rely on his device to control volume, assuming the headphone lack output levels don't overdrive the EQ and/or Amp, They're meant to power small speakers, but still, they're not exactly low level outputs.  I think trying to engineer a AUX jack into the system this way will only end in tears.

Reply #10
Quote from: Pacerized;408345
That system looks a little different in that is has an amplifier but maybe the lableing on the external wires will mean something to him. .

you just might not be aware of all the sound pieces parts mounted behind your rear seats.

Reply #11
Pacerised, the equalizer panel in the dash is only the control panel. The amp and guts for the premium sound is in the trunk on a hinged metal tray behind the seatback. You could probably open up the equalizer and solder in a miniature toggle switch or something, but I have exchanged mine twice over the years at a place in Carrollton, TX called Omicron Electronics . They did dealer warranty work and always kept rebuilt units in stock for exchange. Maybe they still have one.

Reply #12
Quote from: TheFoeYouKnow;408347
The red circle is the power for the EQ and the power on signal to the amp.  As for the blue circles. he probably could splice in there, but he'd have to rely on his device to control volume, assuming the headphone lack output levels don't overdrive the EQ and/or Amp, They're meant to power small speakers, but still, they're not exactly low level outputs.  I think trying to engineer a AUX jack into the system this way will only end in tears.

I spoke with my audio guy today and showed him the wiring diagram along with the equalizer, it looks like you're right in what you're saying. He said that he thinks he can get me a switch to wire the 3 blue circled wires into which are the left speaker, right speaker outputs. He thinks the voltage would be low enough as long as we intercpeted prior to the amp which the equalizer is. If this works the radio or tape would play unless the mp3 where plugged into the jack in which case it would cut off the signal from the radio and the speakers would play the mp3 using only the mp3 to control volume. I don't think there's any danger in trying just the cost of the switch which he says is cheap. I should be able to get this Tues. and give it a try.

I appreciate all the advise on this. I didn't realize that there was an amp under the rear seats as part of the system.