Skip to main content
Topic: Got a motor for the T-bird today!!! (Read 748 times) previous topic - next topic

Got a motor for the T-bird today!!!

I purchased a 302 HO motor from a 90 mustang today.  I got all the front stuff and long tube headers and complete wiring harness with computer.  Not sure if going to run EFI or go to carb.  The wiring is a little intimidating.

XXX

Reply #1
X

Reply #2
Give EFI a shot if I had it to do over Id go EFI
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Reply #3
one bolt, one wire at a time, focus on bolts and during your time inside the house, start getting your head around wiring.

Reply #5
Wiring is very simple.  All you need is the EVTM's for both donor and recipient cars, time and no small measure of patience.  Once you believe you have the wiring harness sorted, and before you add power to anything, use a multimeter and the EVTM's to make sure that you have the wires connected correctly. Like any large project, break down larger wiring job into smaller pieces, that will keep you on task and make the whole project more manageable and less likely to overwhelm you.

Reply #6
I don't dog carbs but unless its a race car it's the ez way out

Efi is kinda simple on these era of cars

Reply #7
I only ever had 1 good carbureted car.  The rest sucked.  EFI is so much easier to live with, and if you give it a chance you'll find that's it's not as hard or confusing as you think.

Reply #8
if your not experienced in doing things electrical the trip to learning a lot of things efi will be worth it.  you will learn so much that will tie into other things not car related and useful in your every day life.

going carb is also not unpopular, its an automatic 20hp+ gain in the quickest amount of time.  they both have thier trade offs. 

EFI is very reliable and so are carbs, its the person behind the machine that keeps it going though.

Reply #9
I am going to give a try and see how well I can do this, I have some electrical background, I did car stereo and car alarms for about 4 yrs.  I love working with relays and stuff, you can do so much with them.

Reply #10
then efi should not give you technical trouble, i think it would be a good project.