Skip to main content
Topic: Subframe connectors...... (Read 6756 times) previous topic - next topic

Subframe connectors......

This is something I never really paid any attention to, but, do Fox Stang subframe connectors fit our cars, or would ours be longer?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #1
No, ours are longer, and fit the contour of the floorpan differently. The best ones actually go through the floors of our cars, as the footwells and the low spots under the seats are lower than the subframes. That's why Chuck and gumby and a few others have ran straight pieces of stock through the pans, rather than bending them, which decreases strength.

Ask yourself this: "am I comfortable cutting some holes in my floorboards, but increasing the strength of my car when it's all finished?"
I'd answer yes, but for one thing, I don't have a welder, nor the skill to use it to seal things up when done.

Jerry could answer your question a lot better than I could, and in more detail, but the basically the gist of it. :D
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #2
Would be worth it to do them if you plan on any kinda racing or a stouter ride

Iv raced cars that have had permanent damage without sfc 

Body panels do not like to line up once tweeked

Reply #3
I am not cutting my floors. I'll just get the rectangle steel tubing, and go that route.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #4
get yourself 10' of 1x2, and fire up that welder you inherited...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #6
Yea those are nice

Reply #7
Considering how much I've cut into my car I don't know why but couldn't get myself to cut my floor pans either. If I didn't have a bender I would have just purchased the global west units. The 1 x 2 rectangular tube should work well, the cougar in my avatar has 2" square tube under it. It takes a fairly low profile floor jack to get under it, but other than that seems fine.

Reply #8
What we do is cut the floor and tie the frame in to the upper trailing arms as they are the weak spot . Just me i am nuts. But we found that under car connectors do not do very much unless they are beefy and then they hang down to much. So installing them through the floor makes the best setup in my opinion. Through the floor is best but you need to do it on a frame machine. So this is not an option for most. JR does this on  the frame machine to make sure things are lined up correctly. And make sure the spark machine has a full spool of wire.  Just saying.

The outside frame  bars are cool as long as they do not have sharp bends. The ones in the post are cool. But the weak spot is the upper control arms. Battle boxes work very good also.

Body Man do you install those bars on a lift or on the frame machine. Just curious. Jr claims doing it on the lift is not as good as on the machine. Can you confirm Thanks.

:flame:
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #9
The guy painting my car is going to weld in the connectors. One step closer to awesomeness.

Reply #10
Yes, this was an old thread.

Reply #11
What did you end up doing for subframes? Under the car or through the floor?

I've had 1"x2" square subframe connectors under my Thunderbird for several years. They did stiffen up the car noticeably after they were installed.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #12
They are going to go under the car. No way am I cutting up the floors. Would that be the BEST way....probably, but, I think under the car will make a noticeable difference, and, it's not a road course car, so, I think the 1x2 under the car connecting the subframes will do fine.

Reply #13
Quote from: vinnietbird;423259
The guy painting my car is going to weld in the connectors. One step closer to awesomeness.

Bad ass pics when there done :)

Reply #14
Many pics. I promise. The Sport will look like a totally different car.