Skip to main content
Topic: Newbie Turbo coupe owner (Read 1755 times) previous topic - next topic

Newbie Turbo coupe owner

Hi,
Brand new to the site. 
I just purchased an 88 turbo coupe automatic for cheap but it is in pretty rough shape inside and out.  I've also purchase a very nice stock 5.0 88 Tbird.  My question to the experts is: If I use the turbo coupe as a parts car, what best mods to make on the 5.0?  I've seen people talk about rear end swap and maybe the front spindles too so I can use the bigger rims and have rear disc brakes.  Can I swap the instrument cluster (get rid of the digital for the turbo buttstuffogs)?  The hood?  anything else of value? 

Thanks!
'88 Bird 5.0, TW 170s, HO cam, Scorpion rockers, Explorer intake 70mm TB/EGR, MAF conversion, 24# injectors, 8.8 3.73 disc rear end swap, console swap, leather seats, 11" front discs, 15-1 rack, TC springs all around, x-pipe, BBK headers,  welded sub-frame, unlocked digital speedo.

Newbie Turbo coupe owner

Reply #1
I would fix up the TC

And welcome

Newbie Turbo coupe owner

Reply #3
Pics? Rust can be overcame with some metal and time. :jerry:

If the strut towers on the TC are rusty though, and it's in pretty bad shape inside and out, well, as you mentioned, the rear and spindles/11" front brakes will swap over. You'll need an adapter for the driver's side brake line to rubber hose connection...you can get these at any decent parts outlet. Get stainless, NOT brass for that.

The rear, if you keep discs, you'll need to change a brake line connection possibly..some folks have reported it's a direct swap, others have had to change a fitting. Myself, I stayed with drums when i did the 5 lug on my TC 8.8, I used the car's original 10" drum backing plates, drums from an '88 Panther chassis car (crown vic/grand marquis) and axles from a 97 Mustang.

The cluster can swap over, but you'll need to repin a few of your cluster wires, and your tach will be off since it's from a 4 cylinder car, and will be going into a V8. You'll also need to run a wire to the tach from the positive terminal on the coil...my advice: find a Sport cluster and go with that, instaed of the TC. You won't have the boost gauge, and the tach will already be calibrated for the 5.0.

Good luck, and let's see some pics of them :D:D
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Newbie Turbo coupe owner

Reply #4
Welcome to the site!

I'd use the TC for parts to bring the Sport up to TC status, then part out the remaining pieces of the TC to make some of your money back. Lots of people looking for parts right now.

Newbie Turbo coupe owner

Reply #6
Thanks fellas.  Another couple of easy questions.  Is the bolt pattern on the turbo coupe the same as on my 5.0 i.e. can I just slap those turbo coupe rims on it?

Also, the turbo coupe has the cool fog lights and solid grill.  Can that be swapped onto my 5.0?
'88 Bird 5.0, TW 170s, HO cam, Scorpion rockers, Explorer intake 70mm TB/EGR, MAF conversion, 24# injectors, 8.8 3.73 disc rear end swap, console swap, leather seats, 11" front discs, 15-1 rack, TC springs all around, x-pipe, BBK headers,  welded sub-frame, unlocked digital speedo.

Newbie Turbo coupe owner

Reply #7
yes to part A, if both cars are still stock 4lug configuration

perhaps to part b if you want to but the front bumper cover "with" fog lamp knock outs is best suited for this.

also, i do not believe the fog lamp harness is "completely" in place in a car that came without fog lamps.  I have not examined which part of the harness is missing on a car without fog lamps  but in my 20th, within the dash there is a connector waiting for me, just nothing up front.

Newbie Turbo coupe owner

Reply #8
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;406746
Pics? Rust can be overcame with some metal and time. :jerry:

If the strut towers on the TC are rusty though, and it's in pretty bad shape inside and out, well, as you mentioned, the rear and spindles/11" front brakes will swap over. You'll need an adapter for the driver's side brake line to rubber hose connection...you can get these at any decent parts outlet. Get stainless, NOT brass for that.

The rear, if you keep discs, you'll need to change a brake line connection possibly..some folks have reported it's a direct swap, others have had to change a fitting. Myself, I stayed with drums when i did the 5 lug on my TC 8.8, I used the car's original 10" drum backing plates, drums from an '88 Panther chassis car (crown vic/grand marquis) and axles from a 97 Mustang.

The cluster can swap over, but you'll need to repin a few of your cluster wires, and your tach will be off since it's from a 4 cylinder car, and will be going into a V8. You'll also need to run a wire to the tach from the positive terminal on the coil...my advice: find a Sport cluster and go with that, instaed of the TC. You won't have the boost gauge, and the tach will already be calibrated for the 5.0.

Good luck, and let's see some pics of them :D:D

that sounded like my cue...... lol
anything is fixable if you ask me......

Welcome aboard.....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Newbie Turbo coupe owner

Reply #9
Again, take the rear, the spindles, the front brakes, take the center console, the hood, the front bumper and all the side trim.  Also, the seats are much nicer in a TC, if the interior bits aren't the same color, get some vinyl/fabric dye spray and fix it.

Newbie Turbo coupe owner

Reply #10
Awesome info.  You guys are great. 

Hey TheFoe,  how do I take the center console?  In my 5.0 LX, it's mounted and moves with driver seat, sort of floating.  In the TC,  it's mounted to the hump and the bottom is all one piece all the way to the dash (including the gear shift).  It looks like I need to take off the center dash (where the radio goes) from the LX and replace that with the one from the TC so that it will mate with the center console.  Does that sound right?  Since the LX is a column shifter,  I guess I'll have to cover the hole where the TC floor shifter went through. 

Daminc, 

I did a compression check on the TC 2.3 and got the following:  1 = 98 PSI,  2 = 70 PSI,  3= 55 PSI,  4 = 110 PSI.  Still think it's worth fixing? (and it's an automatic) 125,000 miles.

Newbie Turbo coupe owner

Reply #11
Quote from: marianadeeps;408018
how do I take the center console?  In my 5.0 LX, it's mounted and moves with driver seat, sort of floating.  In the TC,  it's mounted to the hump and the bottom is all one piece all the way to the dash (including the gear shift).  It looks like I need to take off the center dash (where the radio goes) from the LX and replace that with the one from the TC so that it will mate with the center console.  Does that sound right?  Since the LX is a column shifter,  I guess I'll have to cover the hole where the TC floor shifter went 00 miles.

You'll find a great guide to switching over the console here
 http://www.coolcats.net/modifying/console.html
Save a horse, ride a Cougrrr!
1988 Mercury Cougar - 5.0HO, 3G, AOD w/shift kit, 4.10 gears in 8.8, Mass Air, CAI, Pypes X-pipe, Pypes 2 1/2" exhaust, Pypes Violator lers
1997 Ford Mustang GT - stock
2000 Ford Ranger 4X4 4.0 - stock
2001 Mercury Grand Marquis- stock
2008 Ford Escape 4X4 - stock

Newbie Turbo coupe owner

Reply #13
The console on the 5.0 is welded to the seat, and you can't use the center cover from the 5.0 on the full center console tc.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Newbie Turbo coupe owner

Reply #14
Welcome to the site.
Lots of good help here.
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302