Skip to main content
Topic: 1985 Cougar 5.0 - Parts Car - Nebraska (Read 899 times) previous topic - next topic

1985 Cougar 5.0 - Parts Car - Nebraska

SOLD - Thanks
1985 Cougar 5.0

Here is the story on this car:
-Friend purchased this car back around 1995 and it was his daily driver.
-Was a great car until it was rear-ended by a truck sometime in late 2004.
-It was put into indoor storage untill the end of 2012.
-He realized he wasn't going to do anything with it and moved, forcing a decision.
-I couldn't let it end up in the U-Pull-It so I purchased it.
-It is currently stored outdoors (trunk is covered)

At this point I would like to sell the car complete to some enthusiast that needs the parts (or maybe fix?).  I originally bought it thinking I would use it to fix my other 85 but have pretty much given up on that idea after looking closer at it's condition.
If it doesn't sell, I may part it out myself (probably wouldn't happen until spring/summer).

- Car runs and moves under it's own power
- Engine is making a bit of noise (valve or lifter, hasn't run much and the oil is old)
- Brakes barely work
- Power steering leak
- There is a little rust in the rear quarters
- Interior is in great condition (The black spot on the passenger seat is just something setting on top of it, not damaged)
- Some pictured items may not be included (radio, stereo, amps, wheels?)
- I have the stock wheels and a good trunk lid (not pictured)

Car is located just west of Lincoln, NE ( 68423 )

Price is $400 (w/ stock wheels) That is just barely above s price.

If you need more pictures or videos, let me know.

Reply #1
 that is painful to look at.  I hope someone can get some use out of this car!

Reply #2
I just stripped out a cougar like this.

Reply #3
I recall seeing that car running around Lincoln. Too bad it's too damaged for an easy fix. I could use a nice comfy driver.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

Reply #4
That is an easy fix, id rather have that damage than a fender or door, you can hid a lot of cosmetic issues under the lights.

I need an auto lamp sensor module which is on top of the dash under the rectangle cover,,
id suggest you fix this car if you love it, looks to have many years of fun, that was a loaded coug for its time based on what im seeing, lacks moon roof , cant tell if it has the factory alarm system or not but yeah, fix it if you can, if not, let me get the auto lamp module.

Reply #5
I was contemplating fixing it.  The driver's fender is rolled under pretty far.  When you set a straight trunklid on it, it really shows.

Here are a few pics taken shortly after the damage occured.

Reply #6
its your choice, but here in my garage, we would be using all kinds of jigs, wood blocks, rubber mallets, a little here, a little there till things started shaping in place,, then bang things till the trunk latched.

the saving grace here is that apparently a higher up vehicle hit the rear so no frame work is damaged.

the rear tail fin of the qtr will suffer the most but it could be shaped back in and filled up with whatever suited you. 

remember, metal is mallable, and at the end of the day, so what if theres some rear bondo work, war wonds are gonnna happen.
the front end of my white coug looked just as bad after a debate with a dumpster in a formerly bell atlantic parking lot,, going down hill on a sheet of ice into thier dumpster.
I rolled the hood completely over 180 and just sucked it up, bet it into its basic shape, took things down to bare metal,, add red lead fill, bondo ect ect

Reply #7
Added price to original post.

Reply #8
My girlfriends car looked like that when we got it. The hardest part was fixing the corner.  I'd love to get the cluster if you end up parting it.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

Reply #9
Still here.

Reply #10
PM sent

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #11
Man, damiac would have the back end of a tbird welded to that in 15 minutes! (J/k).

Good luck with it, hope it can breath new life into another car.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #12
I can see at least 2 things i'd like off that right off the bat...but on the other hand, the car looks great, especially with those wheels....get a bodywork guy to rebuild the trunk and don't junk it
1988 Cougar LS - Cinnabar/Rose Quartz Metallic two tone - 3.8 V6 - Rescue
1988 Cougar LS - Cinnabar/Rose Quartz Metallic two tone - 5.0 V8 - Survivor

Reply #13
If linchon wasn't a 16 hour drive, i'd pick it up for $3-400.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #14
The car sold today to someone a couple hours away here in Nebraska.  They work in a body shop and plan on fixing it up to drive it.  Looks like this one was saved.

Thanks