Skip to main content
Topic: T-5 Speed Sensor (Read 2307 times) previous topic - next topic

T-5 Speed Sensor

Anyone recommend a source for a new speed sensor for my T-5?  Mine has leaked around it since I swapped from the AOD and I think I may just replace it completely to see if that fixes it.

I've put on a new o-ring and it still leaks all over the tranny crossmember.

I've seen them on American Muscle, 5.0resto, etc for around $30 but also at the chain stores (autozone, etc) for a little less.  The one AM carries looks identical to the one on the car now.  The ones at Advance Auto look more generic.

It appears the part # is the same on an AOD and T-5...
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

T-5 Speed Sensor

Reply #1
It only be leeking from the o ring unless the vss is broken try swapping another o ring on

Or pick one up at the local jy

T-5 Speed Sensor

Reply #2
Thanks for the reply.  As I said I did put on a new o-ring on and it still leaks.  the sensor came with my transmission when i bought it so theres a possibility its bent or messed up in some way. 

I work 6 days a week an don't have time to go to a junkyard.

For $30.00 it may be worth trying a new one.  I hate leaks.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

T-5 Speed Sensor

Reply #3
Yea leeks suck

T-5 Speed Sensor

Reply #4
So do onions.

:rollin:
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

T-5 Speed Sensor

Reply #5
They are the same AOD to T-5, at least mine was as I just reused it.  When I swapped the Coupe over from a 4 cylinder to a 5.0 I just reused the VSS from the 4 cylinder T-5 over to the WC T-5.  I checked around and $30 is the rolling price for a new one online.  I would just order it and be done with it with your work schedule.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

T-5 Speed Sensor

Reply #6
I did order the one from American Muscle.  The ones from Advance Auto, Autozone, etc just looked too generic to me.  Hence the reason for this thread, wanted to know if anyone had used the generic looking one with any success.

For an additional $15.00 I'd rather have a stock appearing piece.  But I bet they're all made in china anyway, lol.

T-5 Speed Sensor

Reply #7
I have a 1988 lx tbird with a 5 speed I swapped and it has a digital speedometer, I took the gear off of my t-5 sensor and put it onto my sensor that was in the bird but my speedomoter does not work. It did work with the auto was in the car so I know it was working.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
88 tbird lx 5.0 ho t5 swap
04 dsg gt

T-5 Speed Sensor

Reply #8
Quote from: 88hotbird;408100
I have a 1988 lx tbird with a 5 speed I swapped and it has a digital speedometer, I took the gear off of my t-5 sensor and put it onto my sensor that was in the bird but my speedomoter does not work. It did work with the auto was in the car so I know it was working.

This is what I did and it works perfect. To the op, keep in mind that mustangs use a cable driven sensor that is different than the electronic sensor needed to drive your digital dash. The gear is also different. The oem electronic sensor must be used with the gear from the t5 sensor in order to work.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

T-5 Speed Sensor

Reply #9
You sure?  I have had the stock speed sensor hooked up to my T-5 along with the one that came with the T-5 (out of a Mustang) and I'm pretty sure both worked.

EDIT: Looks like I need to go to Advance Auto and order the right VSS for digital dash. After thinking about it more, the Vss that came with my T-5 was damaged in shipping and I did re-use my T-bird one.

Wish it wasn't winter time, I'd drive the car and see if the speedo actually works or not!

T-5 Speed Sensor

Reply #10
I've swapped speed sensors around and never found a combo that didn't work... Even took a dead one for a A4LD(wouldn't shift to O/D) Aerostar and swapped with a T-5 Mustang that only needed it for cruse(didn't work anyway), the Aerostar shifted fine again...

If it's only leaking around the O ring, I'd just clean the sensor and trans opening then put a bead of RTV around it... If it's leaking through the sensor, you probably aren't going to stop it, though cleaning around the center plug and filling it with RTV may do so...