Skip to main content
Topic: TCs with 250,000 + miles? (Read 2992 times) previous topic - next topic

TCs with 250,000 + miles?

Is there anyone on here who owns or has owned a TC with 250,000 miles that neither the motor nor the turbo had been rebuilt?

Ron
Speed is just a question of MONEY How fast can you go?    (M. M.)

Reply #1
Mine has 170 it would be nice to go that long

My dad had a 5.0 fox that went over 300

Gotta love ford lol

Reply #3
My 88TC has 219,000 miles on it with no rebuild of the engine, trans, or turbo and I am just wondering if I am driving on borrowed time.

One report that I read today said that a 2.3 turbo should run 300,000 if it is driven sensibly, allowed to cool down before shutting down, and the oil is changed as recommended.

Reading that was some kind of encouraging to me.
Ron

Reply #4
The T/C I have had 256095 miles on it when I started my restoration. It was extremely tired and lacking power, blew out around a quart & half every 3k out of the dipstick, really didn't like to pull 5th gear on any kind of hill, but it never failed to start (except for a fuel pump failure at parts store). I have no idea of how it was driven before I bought it, it had been equipped with FMS springs and FMS FMIC, and I did alot of Spirited driving, but no drag racing, with it out in Washington state.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #5
I haven't had a 2.3 on it with that many miles on it, but had several 5.0 birds and cougars with 200K+ on them on original drive train. As for the 2.3 if your driving a stick and aren't rough on it I don't see why it wouldn't live that long. If your sporting the a4ld, well that thing is a time bomb on its own any way lol.
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

Reply #6
Quote from: Soul;405059
If your sporting the a4ld, well that thing is a time bomb on its own any way lol.

It is a 5 speed that shifts perfectly so far, and still pulls pretty good for having such a ton of miles.
The previous owner treated it like his mistress with complete fluid changes every two years and synthetic oil every 2500 to 3000 miles for nearly twenty years.
I bought it two years ago with 213,000 and have put 6000 miles on it since then.

My wife accuses me of treating it like my mistress also.
one day last week I had pulled the cover part way back while I worked on it, exposing the front end. She walked in from work and said; "you left your girlfriend in the garage with her panties down".
She has a great sense of humor & loves the BLK BRD about as much as I do!
Ron

Reply #7
My TC has 302k on it. but it is far from untouched. since i bought it in 2004 with a n/a 2.3 and non TC A4LD. i have since rebuild the entire car. it was my daily driver until 2006. and is now a split use. but its has it slight modifications. the first year after i put in my rebuilt engine i went about 14,000 miles without any issues.  there wasa  tc one year at carlisle with 280k without and internal engine work being done.
Brian J Larkin
1988 Tbird Turbo Coupe
1989 Cougar XR7
1995  Ranger Splash

Reply #8
Quote from: BJL;405113
there was a  tc one year at carlisle with 280k without any internal engine work being done.(edited)

That encourages me....thanks for the tidbit of info!
Ron

Reply #9
my tbird before i started the restoration had 325437 miles on it and ran just fine i wouldnt trust it on a long road trip but it didnt smoke/brurn oil and had no ticks or anything but that was 5.0

Reply #10
Quote from: BLKBRD88;405133
That encourages me....thanks for the tidbit of info!
Ron
love how the quote says "edited" oo im living up to my NATO name, lol.
Brian J Larkin
1988 Tbird Turbo Coupe
1989 Cougar XR7
1995  Ranger Splash

Reply #11
When I was younger, I inheirited two turbo coupes.  I got my Uncles 1985 5speed with 263,??? when I was 15.  It had sat a couple years because he was daily driving a Super Coupe.  I did the Timing belt, steering rack, wheel cylinders front calipers, and tune up.  That car sparked my love for Turbo Coupes and automobiles in general.  I probably owe that car for my ability to make a living and provide for my family today.  The second Turbo I got was my fathers, his was a 87, got his when it had 230,??? miles on it.  I got his when I was 18, head gasket had popped.  Put a pinto head on it, machine shop said the head was warped.  The pinto head didn't exactly bolt on, but thats what I had lying around.  One of the intake manifold bolt holes wasn't lined up, so I drilled and tapped a hole, stuck a SVO roller cam in while it was apart.  My family has a long love of ALL FORD hot rods, and the two Turbo Coupes we had were AWESOME in there day.  Sadly, they didn't last long in my ownership, 85 blew the bottom end out running a slow C4 vette, and a lady ran a stop sign and that was the end of the 87.  Every day I miss those cars, not so much for the performance, because the modern V8 stangs will enillate them, but because they got 30+ mpg and were a blast to drive.  Id love to have one as a commuter car!
Love Foxes, Birds or Stangs.

Reply #12
That's why I love my TC it's not fast but it get really good mpg and its fun to drive

But I mod every thing so it will get a little faster lol

Reply #14
My last TC has 238K on her.  She isn't my DD any longer, so she may not get any higher mileage put on her before I do the Coyote swap. Before she ended up with a cracked head, she was a blast to drive... and with the crack being as small as it is, I might have been able to keep driving her for a while yet, but she deserved being taken care of, so I put her out to pasture, so to speak.  However, she is still going to remain a TC, just my own interpretation of what a modernized TC would be.  A twin-turbo Coyote powered ground pounder.