Skip to main content
Topic: Heater core r/r (Read 1029 times) previous topic - next topic

Heater core r/r

Getting ready to do this on my 88.  It has floor shift and coolcats says to remove the shifter.  Ive never done this before.  How does it come apart?  I know how to remove the handle, but I have never taken one apart further than that??

Or can I just pull it all the way to first gear and make enough clearance?

Any other tips on the job, other than whats on Coolcats??:bowdown:
Mike

Heater core r/r

Reply #1
good luck Mike,  does your new core have the supply tube soldered to the body of the core?  input supply is the large tube.

if not, load it up with solder or epoxey so it supports the 45deg bend.

Heater core r/r

Reply #2
Its a ford motorcraft core, funny thing is, it didnt look like my brother old NOS core.  Guess they cheapened them up for me.

Thanks for the tips.

I remember some info about some having a metal brace fabbed up to join the 2 tubes.  Couldnt find it though.
Mike

Heater core r/r

Reply #3
the box stores out there , most of them dont have the larger bent line soldered to the case of the core.

let us know when you start this project,, take pics to! 
I know your dreading it, i took the easy way out personally because i wanted to.

Heater core r/r

Reply #4
For the shifter, when I had an automatic, I just put the parking brake on, and pulled the shifter into the lowest gear position, and that cleared enough....after the console was moved.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Heater core r/r

Reply #5
I pulled the shifter handle off, that allowed me better clearance to get the center console out. Just pulled the shifter back to first gear position.

I unhooked the wiring from the center console switches and totally removed the center console.  All bolts for the dash came out fine and I slid the dash back and got to the heater box.  Removed the 4 bolts from the lid and used a screwdriver to ease the lid up and off.

I didnt have a bolt or nut by the radio, my car was a 1988?

I got everything ready to put the core in tomorrow night.  I'll try to take some pics tomorrow.

Thanks guys.
Mike

Heater core r/r

Reply #6
Good to hear your making progress. Take your time and let us know the outcome.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Heater core r/r

Reply #7
Just be steady, patient, and try not to pull the wiring bundles off of their little plastic tabs on the dash...when they come off, and droop down, that's when the fun really starts. I taped up the harness on my first car when I had to swap the dash due to vandals smashing it in a vain attempt to steal a stereo, I pulled the original dash out enough to reach in and wrap a few loops of tape every little bit, and it seemed like it made the reassembly a bit easier. The stock wrapping tends to crumble after 20-plus years of life...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Heater core r/r

Reply #8
Got it all done and put back together.  I'll post some pics later.  Coolcats directions were spot on.

Do you guys ever tilt the car and worry about burping the air out?
Mike

Heater core r/r

Reply #9
if you have a 5.0 non cfi,
then you can undo a water line going to the throttle body to help let air out, otherwise,,,, just cycle the car a few times and just keep adding water.

you should almost overheat if there is air and also the heat will not be very much there if at all, so,,,,  shut off the car, crack open the radiator with a rag and let it burp out the steam then open,,, then add some coolant.

just keep topping it off so to speak for a couple warm up cycles.

again, if you have the hose on the throttle body, its the easiest place to let air out.