Skip to main content
Topic: Need data on 88 Sport Coupes (Read 8468 times) previous topic - next topic

Need data on 88 Sport Coupes

Reply #46
I'm all ears....tell me more about that bushing & what it will accomplish.
Ron
Speed is just a question of MONEY How fast can you go?    (M. M.)

Reply #47
If it's not getting OD, it's really common for the throttle valve cable to have fallen out of the throttle body quadrant.  Sometimes you can replace the nylon grommet (or what's left of it) with this brass bushing (to ensure it's never a problem again) and restore TV operation, bringing back OD.  On the other hand, if you don't have 3rd OR OD, your direct clutch is toast and will have to come apart.  You can probably get one for $12.  If cost or availability are a problem, you can definitely get a replacement Nylon part for $5 that will work just fine in the short term.  In either case, if you're seriously looking at the car, it can't hurt to have one handy.

Reply #48
Quote from: TheFoeYouKnow;416378
If it's not getting OD, it's really common for the throttle valve cable to have fallen out of the throttle body quadrant.  Sometimes you can replace the nylon grommet (or what's left of it) with this brass bushing (to ensure it's never a problem again) and restore TV operation, bringing back OD.  On the other hand, if you don't have 3rd OR OD, your direct clutch is toast and will have to come apart.  You can probably get one for $12.  If cost or availability are a problem, you can definitely get a replacement Nylon part for $5 that will work just fine in the short term.  In either case, if you're seriously looking at the car, it can't hurt to have one handy.

Thanks a bunch for that info Angry Bird.
It certainly restores my interest in this car. the clearcoat is pretty much gone according to the seller who is the second owner, but otherwise he says it is in pretty good shape with several parts replaced recently.

Is there any chance that you, or perhaps anyone else on the forum might have pics of where/how that bushing is installed? I am not familiar with that at all. Maybe because all of my cars are 5 speed manuals. LOL
Ron

Reply #49
Whoops,
I just watched several Utube vids on the installation & adjustment of the bushing. It still amazes me what is available on the internet!!!
Ron

Reply #50
Quote from: Stealth;413502
5.0L roller lifters & chain w/forged pistons, but not a full HO (the HO engine had Mass Air injection, tube headers and a hotter cam)
4-shock rear suspension from Mustang, 8.8" traction-loc diff.
Polyurethane suspension bushings, larger front and rear sway bars, harder springs than the LX, stiffer struts.

I'm not so sure about some of these things. All the 5.0's in our cars had roller lifters - none had forged pistons. The rearends are 7.5" with traction-lock, although it does come with the quad shocks. While they may not be useful with better control arms, I still replaced my quad shocks when rebuilding my suspension. I have no idea on the other suspension, but everything looked rubber when it was all pulled. I think the swaybars are TC-size. Mine has premium sound, no moonroof, and it had the 8-hole 14" rims. '88 Sport here with 61 in the VIN. To insurance companies, it always appears as "LX Sport".

I think mine got let go with about as good of options as one could hope for. Not having both power seats helps save weight. I don't have many of the electronic gizmos that are very dated by now, such as automatic headlamps. The premium sound system was good for a factory system in the 80's. Regarding weight and everything, I don't think they sit too heavy at 3400lbs, and it rides much better than a 3200-3300lb Mustang, even with modifications.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #51
Quote from: Stealth;413502
There is much evidence that cars were produced and sold as "Sport" models with various equipment lists. That said, IMHO as the original owner of an '88 T-Bird Sport (as it was called), there was a very specific list of options that made the car desirable to me in 1988. The total package was the finest, most highly developed iteration of the Fox platform, perhaps the best car that Ford never told anyone about. It was and is "A Mustang for Grownups". What I remember (and this list may not be comprehensive as I am writing without referring to sales literature) made a T-Bird a "Sport" was:
5.0L roller lifters & chain w/forged pistons, but not a full HO (the HO engine had Mass Air injection, tube headers and a hotter cam)
4-shock rear suspension from Mustang, 8.8" traction-loc diff.
Polyurethane suspension bushings, larger front and rear sway bars, harder springs than the LX, stiffer struts.
6-way power front seats with special center console housing shifter, window and seat controls, also different column, wheel & dash with buttstuffog instruments. I have optional Premium Sound but Sport could be had without that.
Aluminum 4 lug wheels with distinctive eight hole pattern.
I remember seeing Sports offered by dealers with and without the moon/sun roof. It cost about 1 1/2 inches of headroom and was a guaranteed future leak. I called them Rain Roofs and got a car without one.
Am I forgetting anything?
It looked to me like a convenient platform around which to build a Ford V-8 hotrod when the wife was done driving it. So far, so good..

First, mass air is a type of algorithm used by the vehicle's EEC to measure the incoming air, as opposed to the term speed density, which is a preset and unvarying number that is used on ALL '88 and down 5.0 Tbird, Cougar and ALL Mustang 5.0 (except the California versions, also, Mustang went to Mass Air in 1989 across the board for 5.0 cars...in 1989, there was NOT a factory 5.0 Thunderbird or Cougar made.)
No Fox 5.0 Tbird/Cougar had forged pistons factory.
The Springs were very similar to the LX 5.0 upfront, and TC springs out back. Believe me, I have changed my Sport's springs 3 times, there is not one ed bit of difference between the 5.0 springs and the TC springs.

The Tbird 5.0 had the lo-pro "SO" cam, and manifolds, as well as E6 heads...only the HO had the y headers, the truck, aka E7 heads and only Mustangs had mass air, of all the Fox cars. Mark VII's had the HO as well, albeit the speed density setup.

Not all Sports had the dual power seats, mine did, and mine also had cloth, moonroof, EATC, autolamps, basically everything but memory seat.

The suspension was the same type as the Mustang, but the control arms are longer. Poly bushings were never a factory option on these cars.
The column, wheel, and dash were identical to an '87, an '86, etc...the dashes were the same from '85 to '88, also. There were 4 types of clusters; the base digital-had the digital speedo ONLY, then there was the full digital-what some of us call the star wars cluster, then of course the buttstuffog TC, and then the '88 Sports and XR7 cars had their own buttstuffog cluster that was basically the same as the TC, less the boost gauge.

If there's going to be information thrown about, at least make sure it's more than half-assed. Not all of us have owned a Tbird since new, but quite a few of us have taken our cars apart more than once. I'm on my 4th Tbird and 7th Fox...I reckon I've learned a little over the years. :flip:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #52
Lots of disinformation on the interweb...lets keep it to a minimum here...maybe a cleanup thread and make it a sticky?

Travis

Reply #53
I have an 88 Sport that has been in my family since new and it is fully loaded except for leather... I also have the window sticker if someone wants to see it....

My mother bought the bird and I bought a LX 5.0 mustang from the same dealer the same day.... I loved that bird so much that she gave it to me 5 years ago...

I sold my mustang several years before getting the bird.... I drive this car eveyday.... just turned 297,000 miles and the trans shifts like brand new... paint job is awful... it is the bright red color....