Skip to main content
Topic: Need data on 88 Sport Coupes (Read 8468 times) previous topic - next topic

Need data on 88 Sport Coupes

Reply #16
Moonroof?
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #18
Mine has the moonroof...wish it didn't, only because i need a headliner for the Sport. Ahh well, millions of folks have reglued their headliner..I suppose I can, too.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #19
Quote from: Tbird-fanatic;405011
I ment moonroof, Im pretty sure thats probably what that means to

I just copied it from the report in the same form as it was printed. 
If I remember correctly they did call them sunroofs many years ago when they first started showing up on cars. Or........ maybe I am thinking of the 53 & 54 Ford Sunliners    LOL
Ron
Speed is just a question of MONEY How fast can you go?    (M. M.)

Reply #20
Quote from: BLKBRD88;404991
I found this online today

1988 Thunderbird production percentages
V6                46.3%
V8                28.4%
TC                25.3%
Manual Trans 15.4%
Sunroofs      12.9%

If correct, then slightly over one out of four Base, LX, Sport Coupes were V8s.

28.4% of 109,991=31,237 total V8s.
 I am sure that many of the 31,237 V8s were in Base or LX models. That should leave the Sport Coupes down in the 20K or less area, as you say.
Ron
PS Thunderbird Registry has 236 "88"  LX & Base cars registered compared to 71 Sport Coupes registered = more than 3/1 ratio. The 87s were 209 to 36 almost 6/1 ratio
Not that these figures are anything conclusive, but may give us some idea.

Nothing against your figures but what's surprising is the "known" ratio of engines, trans, even sun.. err Moonroof there were... I've always heard Ford has no record of such and not having a known production figure for three models would tend to prove my doubts...

When Kevin Marti has reports avail for these models, then we'll know for sure...

Reply #21
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;405024
Nothing against your figures but what's surprising is the "known" ratio of engines, trans, even sun.. err Moonroof there were... I've always heard Ford has no record of such and not having a known production figure for three models would tend to prove my doubts...

When Kevin Marti has reports avail for these models, then we'll know for sure...

No problem on the figures, since they aren't mine, just something that I found floating in cyberspace on the big old World Wide Web.

A very good friend of mine always said "in the absence of revelation, there is always lots of room for speculation" 
You are correct when the Marti reports on these are available, then we will know for sure.
Ron
Speed is just a question of MONEY How fast can you go?    (M. M.)

Reply #22
ok, been following this thread and have a question on the tech side.

what is technically meant when you all are using the term "coupe"

my son has a tbird sport,, is this the "tbird sport coupe" your refering to?  is the tbird sport the same as tbird sport coupe>>?

Ive learned a lot reading this thread and look forward to more data !

Reply #23
Yep a Sport is a Sport Coupe. I myself think the coupe got added somewhere along the lines because the turbo coupes had coupe at in there name. And it just kind of stuck.

Reply #24
ok so to be clear, one last question,
A sunroof turbo coupe in 88 would be the all time rarest?

Reply #26
Quote from: jcassity;407527
ok so to be clear, one last question,
A sunroof turbo coupe in 88 would be the all time rarest?

I would say yes to that, and furthermore i would say a Auto Transmission TC with Sunroof/Moonroof would be among the rarest combos.  Rare doesn't equal desireable always, but lower numbers for sure.

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Reply #27
Quote from: MY83T;407529
I would say yes to that, and furthermore i would say a Auto Transmission TC with Sunroof/Moonroof would be among the rarest combos.  Rare doesn't equal desireable always, but lower numbers for sure.
So then your saying put the auto back in my TC!!!! LOL J/K

Reply #28
Sunroof, or moonroof?

There IS a difference...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6