Skip to main content
Topic: whats the most unheard of problem to happen to you? (Read 3407 times) previous topic - next topic

whats the most unheard of problem to happen to you?

all my problems are crazy and should happen in a million years but lets hear what people have to say.

Reply #1
what do you mean by problems? like in life in general or with your cars?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #2
Everything can be overcame.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #3
i meant with the cars. like i had a bad ground wire and when id hit a bump my car would shut off and kick back on. or my seat brace broke. whats something that broke on your cars that you never expected

Reply #4
There was a slow person ticking me off. I stomped on it to pass him, right when I got a good roar of first gear at high RPM, my water pump pulley let go and my fan slammed around under the hood chopping my upper radiator hose off, and chopping holes in the radiator. BANG BANG BANG! I thought I threw a rod. Especially when I pulled over and saw antifreeze pouring out. How embarrassing, lol. This was in my old 83 5.0 cougar.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #5
i was re-installing my sun visors, and a screw went through the harness above the headliner wiping out a LOT of my car's interior harness, tail light harness, sequential tail light kit, and burned a hole in my fuse panel the size of a golf ball. I HATE electrical stuff.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #7
I was replacing my battery terminals not too long ago, and after I replaced them, my car wouldn't start. The fuel pump wasn't priming, and I was going insane trying to figure out why. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks, I forgot to put the EEC ground back onto the negative terminal. I learn best by mistakes :D
2002 Honda Civic EX

1984 Ford Thunderbird Elan
5.0 CFI, T5, Dual Exhaust

Reply #8
Did ya all know the bracket for the ac compressor needs be bolted all the way down? I started the car up on the way to school and I heard a thud. Then it got hard to steer and yeh.

That and if a clutch cable gets hot, it melts, when it melts it gets harder to push the pedal. When it gets harder to push the pedal things break. That was my first and last plastic quadrant.

Reply #9
my car rotted out sitting in my garage.....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #10
CoogarXr, that reminds me of a similar experience I had:

Years ago, when driving my '80 Formula Firebird (this would have been 1990 or so) I was driving like the 18 year old ass hole that I was, and had just finished passing a bunch of people at lord knows what speed (the speedo maxed out at 85) when the windshield turned green and a whole bunch of steam started pouring out from under the hood. I pulled over with steam everywhere and was then passed by all the people I'd just passed. Turned out I'd blown the right side tank off the radiator. My father and I soldered it back on, right there on the side of the road, with a propane torch, a can of plumber's flux, and a roll of plumber's solder. We got it back on, but it leaked forever after...

'Nother story:

My first Bird, a 1985 V6 model, was carbureted, as most Canadian ones were. Carbureted V6 Birds had an anti-backfire valve in the smog pump setup designed to prevent the system from pumping air into the system during throttle-lift situations. This is because when you lift off the throttle on a carbureted car they briefly go pig rich as the vacuum spikes. That pig rich mixture doesn't burn well because there's little air in the cylinder, so lots of raw fuel gets dumped into the exhaust. If the smog pump were to continue pumping air into the exhaust at this point it would cause that unburned fuel to ignite and cause a backfire, hence the valve. Which failed on my car on the very day I was trading it in on my next Bird. I was driving it to the dealership and was coming down a steep hill off the highway into the city. I let off the gas and heard what sounded like a gun shot, only louder, and accompanied by a loud flash under the car. Scared the bejeesus out of me, and apparently out of the driver of the car in the lane next to me, who promptly    almost went into the ditch. The car got extremely loud and I heard clunking and banging under the car as if I'd run over something. A look in the rearview mirror showed my exhaust system lying in the road. I literally blew the ler right off the car...

A weird one with my '88: It was sitting on the floor in my garage, and I was working on something on the bench, when I heard a loud "SPANG!" sound coming from the car. I looked around to see where the noise came from, and discovered the most unusual thing: One of the front coil springs had broken (the only reason I even looked at the springs was that the noise sounded "springy"). It broke not at the bottom, where they always break in these cars, but at the top. While the car was just sitting there. Where it had been sitting for a few months. Why it decided to break right then is beyond me. Actually took a picture of that:

X
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #11
Blew a tire doing who knows what speed. I had the speedo mazed at 85 (I was 16 at the time), didn't notice a thing until cars were passing me. Pused the gas pedal and it shot from 70mph instantly to 85. I figure I blew out the rear end, looked in my rear veiw to see chunks of rubber flying around verywhere. I have 4 people in the car, and none of them heard a sound. Car didn't even hadle funny until I hit the brakes.

The wors part was the drive home. I had only the mini spare, and that's impossible to drive on the rear of a car like that. I was sitting stopped at lights, the engine would rev up and down (bad tps), and with my foot to the floor on the break pedal, it would chirp the tire on the rev up in gear. Just letting off the brakes it would squeel away non stopped. Couldn'even get the car to move without the speedo being about 40mph. Must have been the funniest thing in the world to watch. Surprised I didn't get pulled over on that one.now I cars a jack stand and at least a cheapie 2 ton jack, along with the stock on just in case I ever have to swap a tire from front to back, for the same reason.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #12
when i was 16 i went out on a date with a old girlfriend right after i bought the tbird and it had 203,000 miles with no signs of being rebuilt. anyone short we got lost o n the highway and my dad told me to get home in 10 minutes ( we were 45 minuntes away) i had the bird maxed out and blow the radiator. crazy thing is i drove it all the way home and replaced the radiator the next day and the car ran fan motor still worked when i pulled it out.

Reply #13
One of my amps caught fire in the trunk while I was driving down the road.

Found out I had a leaky gas tank when I ran out of gas in the Fort McHenry Tunnel. (Sending unit was inop at the time)

250 miles away from home I miss a shift, the car backfires and breaks the distributor gear.

Granaded my differential at the most embarrasing place. On the line at the track.

While helping a friend drop a new engine in his car, he uses my car to go get lunch. Rolls back in the driveway in a cloud of smoke, turbo came apart and the engine ate it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]      STEVE ;)

Reply #14
Reinstalling my steering column after doing the heater core in my 88 tbird,  while bolting the column into place I pinched the ground wire of the alarm kill switch relay.  So I put the whole dash together, go to start the car... and she's dead LOL.. I was like WTF.. Than while retracing my steps I noticed the pinched wire under the steering wheel like 30min later lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]