Skip to main content
Topic: 1988 TurboCoupe For Sale/Part Out -- Charlotte, NC (Read 3615 times) previous topic - next topic

1988 TurboCoupe For Sale/Part Out -- Charlotte, NC

Guys,

I'm getting out of the Thunderbird game for right now, but I'm sure I'll be back at some point.

Here is my car...
This is a running, driving 1988 Blue/Blue cloth Turbo Coupe with 5.0 swap.  It is a rust-free southern car that spent its whole life in NC.  I drive it everyday to work.

Mods and parts:
- Rebuilt 306 with GT40 heads and Cobra intake
- AOD transmission
- Full dual exhaust with factory headers, h-pipe
- 3.73 trak-loc 8.8 rear
- 140mph speedo with V8 tach mod
- NOS head lights

$1,500 for the car as a whole, or let me know what parts you want/need.

Fly in and drive it home!

Thanks,
Jon

Reply #1
how much would you sell the whole gauge cluster for with the v8 tach and 140 speedometer

Reply #2
This car should not go to the crusher unless there's severe rust issues you've not disclosed.  As for selling the car outright, you're asking at the wrong time of year.  Wait until Spring to capture an interested buyer.

Reply #3
I'd want the head lights.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #5
Quote from: Kafer79;403877
This car should not go to the crusher unless there's severe rust issues you've not disclosed.  As for selling the car outright, you're asking at the wrong time of year.  Wait until Spring to capture an interested buyer.

Kafer79,  I agree with you.  This is a RUST FREE North Carolina car with no accidents.  Other than a few door dings on the sides, the body is straight. 

HOWEVER, the car is worth more in parts than it is whole.  So someone come take this thing off my hands in one piece!

Reply #6
Quote from: jcassity;403884
are we a running car?

Yep.  Running/driving car that I take to work everyday.

Reply #7
Holy shiznit, that looks like a nice car.  Always wishing closer and the money I dont have.

I sure hope someone gets it whole.
Mike

Reply #8
I don't condone ripping apart a perfectly good car, but, I'm looking for some interior pieces, if they're in good condition:

console lid
console switch panel
full size spare carpet bag/cover
and if possible, the 8.8 as well
1988 Cougar LS - Cinnabar/Rose Quartz Metallic two tone - 3.8 V6 - Rescue
1988 Cougar LS - Cinnabar/Rose Quartz Metallic two tone - 5.0 V8 - Survivor

Reply #9
I want the center console.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

Reply #10
I want the car, but I'm too far away.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #11
I would love to get her from you, but I can't do anything until after the first of the year.

Reply #12
Don't part it! :(

I'd buy it right now if I had the dough.
I have been wanting a Bird for a while, but the good ones come up when I don't have cash.

Reply #13
Thanks guys for the responses.  I really don't want to part it out, and I would like to keep it, but I have too many cars (especially with V8's) and need to thin the herd.

Here is a run-down on some details of the swap:
1. Engine was built for boost.  It has SpeedPro/TRW +7.40cc dished FORGED pistons ~8.5 to 9 compression ratio with GT40 (not P) heads and real Ford Racing Cobra intake.
2. ABS brake system was eliminated with SN95 brake booster, master cylinder and proportioning valve.  The rest of the braking system is stock TC disks.
3. A3M1 computer and wiring from 93 Mustang 5 speed.  All EEC and chassis wiring was done with OEM Ford type connectors.
4. Maintained Automatic ride control electronics with Automatic and Manual firm (switch) mode.
5. Upgraded to 130amp 3G alternator with wiring and 175amp fuse.
6. 88 Cougar stock AOD with custom fabricated floor shifter system.  Transmission probably needs to be gone through, or at least a shift kit installed - slushy shifts - but goes into all gears and lock-up mode.  I was planning to upgrade to 4R70W - and have that transmission to go with the car.
7. Double-hump cross-member with AOD driveshaft and correct transmission gear for 3.73 rear axle.
8. Custom dual exhaust system all the way out the back (through cutouts in the rear bumper). But turn downs can easily be put on to exit under the rear bumper.  2 1/2" Cat-back exhaust with Stainless Magnaflow lers.
9. Brand new heater core and A/C evaporator in the fully functional EATC.

Things that need some attention:
- Exterior: In desparate need of a paint job.  Twilight blue metallic paint code
- Interior: Top of dash is cracked (aren't they all) and the rear decking carpet is messy.
- A/C compressor and clutch is bad, but all new A/C components and hoses.  Converted to R-134a
- Cruise control not yet functional as I haven't switched to the V8 diaphram.  Have that to go with the car.
- Needs tires

PM me questions.

Thanks,
Jon

Reply #14
. I just bought a Mark VII. Now I have no extra money. Good luck with the sale.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.