Skip to main content
Topic: water leak in cab!!! (Read 3572 times) previous topic - next topic

water leak in cab!!!

SO I havent driven my car in awhile. I cleaned and vacuumed out the inside the other day and found out that my floor was really wet on the drivers side kinda by my pedals! where could the leak be coming from? I vacuumed up everything by the air cals infront of the window and that didnt do it.
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

water leak in cab!!!

Reply #1
Does it smell like antifreeze, or just straight water? I wonder if fluid could go from the heater core through the duct. Otheriwse, maybe a leaky seal between the steering shaft and firewall (or other grommet there) or windshield leak.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

water leak in cab!!!

Reply #2
It smells like water. huh, i'll go check that grommet out. most of the water was on the left side of the foot area but today i looked and there were a few drip of standing water on the right side...
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

water leak in cab!!!

Reply #3
My guess would be windshield.  My 88's windshield actually came un-stuck from its frame, something I didn't notice until I took the windshield trim off to paint the car. With the trim off you could push the left hand side of the glass 1/2 inch away from the body. Yes, the glass was actually bending. I ended up having the windshield replaced, since it was starting to delaminate in the corners anyway...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

water leak in cab!!!

Reply #4
Maybe the sheet metal has a hole under the cowl or the windshield could be leaking at the bottom.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

water leak in cab!!!

Reply #5
try to find the highest sign of water.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

water leak in cab!!!

Reply #6
run water on the drivers side of the car with a garden hose and look for where the water is coming in at with a shop light under the dash

water leak in cab!!!

Reply #7
Bet it is the HOOD RELEASE CABLE where it goes through the fire wall. Unless the windshield separated. Look at the grommet that is the most likely spot. Fixed several that leaked where you are talking about.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

water leak in cab!!!

Reply #8
Moon or sunroof?
If so....the corner hoses are plugged, if no window in the roof, then the aforementioned places must be leaking.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

water leak in cab!!!

Reply #9
I thought the roof drains were in the rear of the coupe by the FLAG panels. Not 100% on this though. Good point though!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

water leak in cab!!!

Reply #10
Mine leak from there, ever so slightly, so that was made me think that lol.
Start at the top, work down. Water goes downhill, yanno ;)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

water leak in cab!!!

Reply #11
Quote from: TOM Renzo;403618
Bet it is the HOOD RELEASE CABLE where it goes through the fire wall. Unless the windshield separated. Look at the grommet that is the most likely spot. Fixed several that leaked where you are talking about.

That's got to be it.  I had a difficult-to-find leak on my 88 that was exactly there.  It had annoyed the PO who added a bunch of goop to the windshield to try to "seal" the leak there, but to no avial.  The drain for the windshield behind the DS fender is DIRECTLY above this grommet.  I pulled the fender out a bit and put some rubber (from an innertube) and rubberized adhesive above this grommet as an eave to force the water away from this point.  I'd try that first.

water leak in cab!!!

Reply #12
Found it! the black metal thing at the bottom of the window is very loose. On the driver side there is a huge gap between the window and that black piece of metal. How can i fix it? I live in the NW and its been raining ALOT here.

water leak in cab!!!

Reply #13
Take a photo. I am thinking i know what you mean and that might not be the issue. If memory serves me the window has an over hang and that plate is not to keep water out. Just saying.

water leak in cab!!!

Reply #14
I'll take a pic of it tomorrow. Along the rest of the window that black piece of metal is up close.