Skip to main content
Topic: cold heater (Read 1048 times) previous topic - next topic

cold heater

So the air coming from my heater isn't very hot anymore. It takes forever to defrost. Any ideas on how to make it hot again?
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

cold heater

Reply #1
Thermostat that is just about it. Unless your blend door is messed up. Have never seen a bad blend door in a COUPE. You have to measure the coolant temp in and out of the heater core. Also check the upper hose for temp. This will tell you if the stat is stuck open.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

cold heater

Reply #2
Well i just put a new 172* stat in. I ran the car for 20 minutes and it was blowing luke warm air. Where is the heater core at on the car?
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

cold heater

Reply #4
Well i hope im not because i just had it flushed and had new stuff added in.

cold heater

Reply #5
Behind the FIRE WALL on the pass side. You have to pull the dash. 172*never saw one???? 180 is more like it. I have a 180 in BRUISER and it makes plenty of heat!!! I just did a thread on this with an inline sensor for fan control???
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

cold heater

Reply #6
Yeah it is a 180 actually.  that sounds like alot of work! I'll just poke around the engine and check a few things out before i dive into that one lol. thank you though

cold heater

Reply #8
Yeah, the core could be clogged. Maybe you could pull the heater hoses and rig a garden hose to blow it through.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

cold heater

Reply #9
, people keep beating me to my ideas while I'm typing^^^ lol

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

cold heater

Reply #11
Nobody should EVER go after a suspected clogged heater core without first trying to clear it.

If it was clogged he would have a rich condition and an ses light . A quick feel of the feed and return heater hoses would immediately Be evident. but a quick flush could not hurt!!! If this checks out he needs to take temp readings. Or he has a blend door issue. The coupe has a full flow heater core FOE. Basically changing a heater core is no big deal. We do Mustangs all the time and coupes are not that bad to do.  The ROOSTER WAS JUST DISSED BY THE FOE!!! WAY TO GO FOE!!!:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: