Skip to main content
Topic: Head swap, pushrod length? (Read 3397 times) previous topic - next topic

Head swap, pushrod length?

So I have a set of E7s that I pulled off a MKVII I bought a while back for parts. I was wondering, can I pull the heads off my current 84, CFI, non roller 5.0 and drop the E7s on? The only thing that I can think of being a problem would be the pushrod length. Would my stock rods be the right length?

I'm still new to this, and I'm on a serious budget and time squeeze. Just looking to have some fun before I have to put the 'bird in storage. I'm doing a long awaited T5 swap next week :evilgrin:

Thanks!
2002 Honda Civic EX

1984 Ford Thunderbird Elan
5.0 CFI, T5, Dual Exhaust

Reply #1
Does the '84 have pedestal mount rockers? If so, I'd bet your current push rods will work. If not, I'd think you'd need a push rod length checker and go from there.

OR, wait til you can get a roller motor.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
I'm not sure, does this picture help? I have the entire motor, but I don't have the money to rebuild it, or the time to convert the rest of the car to SEFI. It'll happen, just...not any time soon.

2002 Honda Civic EX

Reply #3
If nothing else, pull a push rod from the current engine and compare it side-by-side with the newer part. Mark one first so you can tell the difference, though.

I'd be willing to bet they're different though.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #4
That's a bit disappointing to hear, but I figured that would be the case.
2002 Honda Civic EX

Reply #5
The push rods from your current engine should work as you won't be milling anything when swapping the heads. The roller 302s have shorter pushrods than the flat tappet 302s as roller lifters are taller than flat lifters.

You really won't gain much power with the E7s. They flow about the same as the heads on your T-bird right now. The really sucky heads are the E6 heads found on 86 HO and 86-91 SO 5.0s.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #6
X2.

If your stayin a flat tappet cam, I see point in swapping heads. Your current heads might even outflow the e7's.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #7
I do think they will be a direct swap after seeing the picture.Why do you want to swap them? I don't think you'll feel any difference in them after the install. Save your money for future projects and save your time for better things.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #8
I was under the impression that the E7 heads were an improvement over my current heads, but I suppose that's not necessarily true. Thanks for all the responses though.
2002 Honda Civic EX

Reply #9
E5 (what you have, if they're stock)
They're nearly as good as the E7...it's the E6 heads that suck a mountain goat's arsehole.

If I were gonna change, I'd just snap up some GT40 or 40P's. Hell, yank a 5.0 from a Exploder/Mountaineer, swap intakes, accessories, pan and oil pickup, add a distributor, HO cam and headers, call it a day.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #10
My 86 Cougar has those E6 heads. I'm surprised that they put the same heads on the HO motors. I must have taken about half a pound of metal out removing the thermactor humps. If it were gold, I'd be rich!

Reply #11
With stock Ford heads that use bolt down rockers, all you have to worry about is whether the engine is roller or flat tappet... Roller engines use a 6.27" pushrod and flat tappet, 6.80"...

Most aftermarket heads will require checking length, I used the 6.80 push rods with my Trick Flow heads & roller cam...

Reply #12
Quote from: 86cougar;403261
My 86 Cougar has those E6 heads. I'm surprised that they put the same heads on the HO motors. I must have taken about half a pound of metal out removing the thermactor humps. If it were gold, I'd be rich!

They (Ford) DID use the E6 on the HO, but only in 1986, in '87 they used the "new" truck heads, so they called them E7, which is internal code for, you guessed it, '87. LOL. (D='70s E='80s, F='90's, etc)

Quote from: TurboCoupe50;403266
With stock Ford heads that use bolt down rockers, all you have to worry about is whether the engine is roller or flat tappet... Roller engines use a 6.27" pushrod and flat tappet, 6.80"...
I was pretty sure I read and saved the info stating that the roller cam pushrods were a bit shorter than the flat tappet cam versions. Hated to see OP swap parts and possibly damage something and have a bigger issue to work with. :)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #13
Yep roller cam pushrods are shorter than flat tappet cam pushrods.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #14
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;403282
I was pretty sure I read and saved the info stating that the roller cam pushrods were a bit shorter than the flat tappet cam versions. Hated to see OP swap parts and possibly damage something and have a bigger issue to work with. :)

LOL,
yup,, thats what my library says... my diy link....

================================================
 Is the 5.0 a roller engine or not??

pull a push rod out
 a roller 5.0 engine will have 6.27" pushrods
 a non roller will have 6.9" pushrods
 >>>> turbocoupe50