Skip to main content
Topic: Now we have 4 cars floating around. (Read 7565 times) previous topic - next topic

Now we have 4 cars floating around.

Reply #15
Exterior. Still not bad for $800 considering it's hard to get a barely running car around here for less than $1000:D.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #16
Not bad at all!
I've been idly scanning CL for a decent one, most of what I've seen for a grand are far worse than yours.

I WILL have one soon. Or another 9th gen F truck. Probably leaning towards the truck, although seeing your Mark has got me wanting one in a bad way all over again....thanks for nothin' lol.

Looks like you might have to build another garage lol. Enclosed driveway, perhaps ;)
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #17
The Mark is not in that bad of shape, at least for cars around here. It' just that I can go to the garage and see a 25 year old car that looks to be maybe 2 years old. It kinda of warps my perspective on older cars. I tend to think they're all in the shape my T-bird is in, which just isn't the case. For a 21 year old car the Mark is pretty decent. Even though it's got some cosmetic rust on the lower fenders and rockers the floor pans and under body are CLEAN with no rot. That's why I think I may fix it up at some point.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #18
Yeah, I can see the rust coming through on the fender. If the floors have paint on most of it and there aren't any holes or holes-to-be, that's pretty  good for this latitude. The thing obviously didn't come out when snow was on the ground. That's "steal" territory as far as I'm concerned. It cleaned up great, those seats look comfy, and the interior is just very handsome overall. Plus a moonroof! :) I loooooooove my 20th's moonroof in the summer. I'm not a convertible person, I don't think I'll EVER own one. The moonroof and windows open is plenty.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #19
I really need to get a picture of the floors. They are almost as clean as the T-birds. I kid you not. The car was mostly in a garage before I bought it and it had been sitting for the past 5 years. I do really like the seats. I'm tempted to go out and find a set of LSC seats and have them recovered in the leather that matches the T-birds interior and stick them in the T-bird. But then the T-bird wouldn't look original......and I spent a bunch of money a few years ago having the leather redone on the T-birds front seats:hick:.

The moon roof doesn't work on the Mark right now. It doesn't leak and that's the most important thing.

Reply #20
Yeah don't even TOUCH that haha. I know that would be my attitude. Most of the time, especially in the cold, I'm happy just to have the sun shining through. And they're pretty big moonroofs too.

Don't change the tbirds' seats! LOL I'm sure the mark's are nice but those grey seats are the flat kind, the same style as my 20th. Now don't get me wrong, my black XR7's are nice because of the very soft fine cloth they're made out of, but I prefer a flat seat you sink into, to a bolstered-racing-keep-you-in-place seat. The 20th is almost as comfortable as my Crown Vic seats :hick: And of course as you know, I cannot be considered objective because I also much prefer the Vic's "overboosted granny steering" to quote your own observation :P
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #21
I'm not going to touch the sunroof. Right now no leaks > open sunroof :hick:.

I'll leave the seats in the Thunderbird alone. I like them too much. They are like a comfy recliner. No matter how long I sit in them I never get tired.

The T-bird has the "sport" 15:1 rack in it. It feels much firmer than the Marks (which I'm thinking has a 20:1 rack or the most overboosted steering ever) and has more road feel. You can turn the Mark with your pinky finger, just like little old ladies like it. After my girlfriend drove the Mark she said "for such a masculine looking car I'm surprised that it has little old lady steering."

Reply #22
Your LSC shouldn't have little old lady steering.  I wonder if your car has had a Bill Blass rack swapped in.
1990 Mark VII LSC
1990 Mark VII LSC SE
1969 Cougar 351W

Reply #23
Quote from: Davemutt;403337
Your LSC shouldn't have little old lady steering.  I wonder if your car has had a Bill Blass rack swapped in.

I know it feels lighter than the steering in the T-bird. Perhaps it just has more assist?

For Zonda here's a shot of the underside. It's really clean, which Is why I'm thinking I might keep the Mark for awhile.

Reply #24
That has to be the nicest $800 car I've ever seen.

If you're thinking of replacing the seats, keep a lookout for some 1st gen LSC seats with the thigh bolsters and larger headrests.  Most people who have tried both prefer them.
1990 Mark VII LSC
1990 Mark VII LSC SE
1969 Cougar 351W

Reply #25
I'll probably just get the worn panels on the seats replaced vs changing them out.

Good news, the sunroof works! It helps if you, you know, hit the on button. The car has the dealer installed ASC sunroof as opposed to the factory one.

I really got a deal on this Mark. It should have gone for a bunch more but the guy just wanted it gone. It's one of those right place, right time deals.

Reply #26
Time to find another beater, eh? lol
(I can store that Mark for ya. He he he.)
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #27
That looks awesome. Just as clean as my Crown Vic when I bought that for the same price. It's why I started out and have continued spraying WD-40 (and now a mix of that and Lucas) all under there every late fall. And with a 360 degree "orb" mister wand end of a rustproofing gun, I fog the inside of the actual frame too. That and persistent washing with warm water in the driveway, as opposed to a Calicompiat (haha) disintegrating in 4 years, in 4 years nothing has changed at all.

Reply #28
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;403662
Time to find another beater, eh? lol
(I can store that Mark for ya. He he he.)

I think I'll keep it at home ;)

Quote from: ZondaC12;403663
That looks awesome. Just as clean as my Crown Vic when I bought that for the same price. It's why I started out and have continued spraying WD-40 (and now a mix of that and Lucas) all under there every late fall. And with a 360 degree "orb" mister wand end of a rustproofing gun, I fog the inside of the actual frame too. That and persistent washing with warm water in the driveway, as opposed to a Calicompiat (haha) disintegrating in 4 years, in 4 years nothing has changed at all.

Well It's warm out right now so I'll pick up a couple of cans of WD-40 and go to town.....then pick up a real beater next winter:hick:.

Reply #29
I mean yeah it's a HELL of a mess...I put down lots of newspaper, cardboard, drip pans....do one area at a time, let it drip/"cure" it's kinda silly and time-consuming but I do it because it has worked so well. Especially with the Lucas mixed in...The Vic's floorpan is highest right underneath the rear seat, it looks like. Before I did this year's dosage, I looked and I even saw a couple almost-drops of liquid dangling from the surface, it was still wet. Obviously much less splash gets up there, but I was impressed just how long it clings on there for. And of course, touching anything under there for any work results in instant true "grease-monkey" status, but it is 100% worth knowing that I am beating the odds and keeping an undercarriage preserved in not the worst, but up there on the list of terrible salt winter environments.

Now, when the day comes that I have my own garage lift or can use a friend's, I'm spending $80 on mossmotors.com and getting a 5L tin of Waxoyl, so I can do the same with that but end up with a dry candlewax-like coating that is as good if not better at sealing everything, and less disgusting. But 4 years ago I looked at the problem and said to myself "there has GOT to be a way for me to beat salt". I don't like to take no for an answer, do I? :rollin: