Skip to main content
Topic: got a killer deal :-D (Read 1307 times) previous topic - next topic

got a killer deal :-D

i just got back from vacation not long ago and found a cougar up there that was being parted out... i scored the 85-86 tail lights in good condition with no cracks or chips for 20 bucks with harness :-D  but that brings me to my question... anyone have a clue what modifications i need to do to fit them to my 84 cougar? and what wires will have to go where. dangit... i had another question but i forgot that too.  guess ill have to post again when i figure that out.. hope yall can help me thanks

Edit: guess i outta mention its a cougar GS lol forgot this is for tbirds n cougars :-)

Re: got a killer deal :-D

Reply #1
You'll defintly need to drill and modify the current holes/openings too allow you to use the lights,  I'm not sure about the wireing however.

Reply #2
I heard that you mave need to cut and weld certain parts. I know eric did it on his 84 cougar."quote: Out back I did some more modifications. I swapped in a pair of '85 taillights (had to hack up the taillight panel and wiring harness to do so---NOT recommended). I filled in the reflectors, where the COUGAR and MERCURY letters normally go, and painted the section light blue. Also, I airbrushed the cat head on the backup lights to simulate the 1987-88 taillights, and painted black "laser stripes" (similar to those on the Topaz and Grand Marquis) on the lenses. The MERCURY and COUGAR letters were airbrushed onto the trunklid. While I have to admit that the silver and light blue are very similar to each other, the car got looks nonetheless and I don't regret picking that particular silver. The car looked like this through 1993." http://www.coolcats.net/eric/84gs/index.html
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #3
The taillight mounting panels between 1984 and 1985 changed dramatically. In order to use 1985 taillights in an '84 you will need to cut a big section out of that panel on each side. I don't have photos of the surgery but really, it's self explanatory once you start working on it. The wiring needs to be lengthened to get all the bulbs to fit. Otherwise, the wiring you have is fine. I just opted to splice in a 1985 harness into the '84 using some generic terminals from Radio Shack. You don't necessarily have to do that.

Reply #4
well thanks everyone and eric i did snag the harness from the other car just in case :-) so ill probably just splice it into the existing harness. was kinda hoping for some pictures but guess i cant get all the good luck lol guess ima giver hell tomorrow... what do yall use to cut the metal back there?

Reply #6
thanks eric kinda cant wait to dig into the 84 :-D

Reply #7
try to wear some padded or mechanics gloves, i used tin snips to cut the floor out for my floor shifter, and i cut myself a few times, that metal gets sharp

once its all cut, try to file it down, or run some split hose, or something around it so you dont cut yourself, or possibly any wires
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #8
On my 83 Bird I used some 85 lights for a short time.  Didn't have to cut the harness at all, but they didn't seal correctly.  They bolt right in, but you'll need to do something to fill in the "holes".  I was not going to hack up the rear of the car.... (glad I didn't too)

I have since gone back to the "correct" lights for the car.....
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #9
well...swap is done pictures will have to wait gotta get em developed... digi doesnt work anymore. well i only found 1 difference in the wiring between the 85-86 lights n lights is there is 2 grounds on 85-86. i also have pictures of what needs to be modified to fit properly. ill make a write up with some pics on that. and the way this one is i can use 84 lights still.. OR 85-86 :-) thanks for all your help