Skip to main content
Topic: Climate control (Read 2358 times) previous topic - next topic

Climate control

I was ripping away at a TC earlier in the day and noticed that the electronic climate control uses completely different plugs than whats used in the buttstuffog temperature controls. It appears that one of the two connectors needed is hiding in the back, split up for the buttstuffog, but I was wondering how difficult it would be to wire up the other connector. Or is it hiding back there and I just can't find it? Also, the buttstuffog controls seem to run off air pressure in tiny hoses - these don't appear to exist anywhere in the TC. Are they responsible for moving the ducting within the dash?

Swapping out since the a/c switch isn't passing current on to the compressor clutch
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Re: Climate control

Reply #1
If you're thinking about installing the ETAC system for the conventional AC... Forget it. Not saying it can't be done, but at 18+ years old the ETAC is troublesome at best. Rather than deal with problems down the road, I made sure my TC 5.0 swap canadate had the conventional system.

You'll have to swap all the components as the plentum assembly and wiring harness is different. Also there are sensors in the ductwork to regulate temp...

Reply #2
buttstuffog system:
Temp lever pulls a cable that moves a door that blends hot/cold air.
Selector lever makes a valve send vacuum to little cans that move doors.

ETAC:
Failure-pr0ne fully electronic system with sensors, wires, sensors, actuators, relays, wires, sensors, actuators, relays, sensors.........

buttstuffog: Light switch.
ETAC: "Cray" super-computer that fills 3 rooms.
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #3
yeah, thought so...

other than swapping in the same thing, wasn't there controls from another ford car that had the same connectors, but was -style? Think it was on the old board so I haven't had much luck with doing searches there
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #4
Would changing ETAC to buttstuffog be just as difficult?
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #5
Quote from: jkirchman
Would changing ETAC to buttstuffog be just as difficult?

Probably so....

Quote from: Seek
yeah, thought so...

other than swapping in the same thing, wasn't there controls from another ford car that had the same connectors, but was -style? Think it was on the old board so I haven't had much luck with doing searches there

I believe it was the Taurus controlls, check Cool Cats for the info..

Reply #6
ah, I looked again, but this time not under "tech" (looked there before I posted earlier). Its there.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #9
Yes it is.  The labels on it are all green and the indicator lights above each label are amber.

If yours is not lighting up, it is possible to take it apart and replace the little bulbs inside.  Sorry but I cannot remember the bulb number.  It's about the smallest incandescent you can buy for a car.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0