Skip to main content
Topic: TurboCoupe not seeing more than 10 psi? (Read 1482 times) previous topic - next topic

TurboCoupe not seeing more than 10 psi?

Hey guys I got a 88 TC 5 speed in very good conditions with working A/C but Im not seeing more than 10 psi is that normal? I am a newbie to standard but a friend who has alot of expierience driving manual even with him the car would not see more than 10 psi. The car already came with a k&n filter and I changed the spark plugs and wires and same. What could it be or is this normal? thanks guys lmk
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
87 T-Bird turbo'd and supercharged and if things call for it juiced. :evilgrin:
88 Turbocoupe t3, 4.10's, Daily driver

Re: TurboCoupe not seeing more than 10 psi?

Reply #1
If you have it in premium mode it should go to 15psi. I have the same problem right now after swaping my motor, I think my acuator rod is too long and hoding the wastegate open. You might want to check that.
2 88 TC's (1 is the 2.3t race car, other v8 maybe?)
06 dodge dakota 4.7 v8
79 chevy k-10, built 350/turbo 350
Diverse ain't I?
AMSOIL Dealer

Reply #2
I'm also having the same problem but mine is only boosting about 8psi.  test drove the car before we pulled the engine and swapped it to mine and it was doing the same in the other car.  I have been running the E10 gasoline with the premium button pressed. still same.

Reply #3
automatic tranny cars never saw more than 10-11 psi, because they have weak transmissions
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #5
could be a number of things

did the car actually come with a t5, or was it swapped?

could be a bad wastegate

could be a restriction in the exhaust

could be a vaspoogee line issue
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #6
mine is a T5 with an LA3, my vaspooge lines are fine, Exhaust is fine, so im thinking wastegate.
2 88 TC's (1 is the 2.3t race car, other v8 maybe?)
06 dodge dakota 4.7 v8
79 chevy k-10, built 350/turbo 350
Diverse ain't I?
AMSOIL Dealer

Reply #7
bypass the BCS, and see what happens
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #8
Well then my problem would be that Im not running premium gasoline and in premium mode. thanks guys
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
87 T-Bird turbo'd and supercharged and if things call for it juiced. :evilgrin:
88 Turbocoupe t3, 4.10's, Daily driver

Reply #9
if the BCS is bypassed will it still show boost on the dash?  is it possible that the vacuum lines are backwards on the BCS?

Reply #10
lines on the BCS make no difference

itll show boost on the dash
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #11
The BCS is just a bleeder valve to make the wastegate think it is only seeing 10psi when the turbo is making 15.

Check to see if the BCS is even there...or hooked up.  Another thing to try is isolate the turbo wastegate....meaning only have a vac line running from the compressor housing to the wastegate actuator.  If you do that and your car acts the same and the gauge reads 10psi, then you have a problem with the BCS system.  Just make sure that if you attempt this, you plug the leak you just created at the intercooler or where ever you take the vac line from.

A quick way to get rid of all of this is just get a gillis type valve.  I got mine off of Ebay and it works just as well as a gillis.  I was running 18psi til I ran into my string of problems.

If it still won't work right, then something is restricting the turbo from making more than 10psi.  I know when I first bought my 84 XR-7, the turbo just hummed.  After a minor overhaul, the turbo hissed at stock boost.  I have yet to figure out why it changed but I'd say I was only running 5-6psi when I first bought the car.  Now my Autometer gauge assures me that I'm running 10psi at the moment and 18psi when I had it turned up.

BTW, the boost gauge reads from a vac line on the tree above the brake booster.  So the gauge will read as long as all your lines are hooked up.

Reply #12
the problem with doing all that is, everything youre trying could be a waste of time if its a faulty wastegate

thats why i said, bypass the BCS, i bypassed mine, was making 6psi, and then knew my wastegate was shot, put a wastegate on it, and instantly made 15psi with the BCS bypassed
It's Gumby's fault.