Skip to main content
Topic: I'm stumped! (Read 2142 times) previous topic - next topic

I'm stumped!

Reply #15
^^^ This!

I'm stumped!

Reply #16
That's exactly what I did. Even the four corners of the valley gap, I took my finger and wiped off any access. There won't be any in my ports, I made sure of that. I took my time with the steel wool and made sure the surfaces looked nice, then I took the manifold and washed it out real good with a hose and nozzle then let it dry. Yep, it probably took me longer than some, but at least when I was done I knew I had done a good job of it. Tomorrow will tell.

I'm stumped!

Reply #17
I can't tell you how many vehicles that weren't wrecked, that DID have silicone or permatex oozed out from between intake and heads. Some of which have been 5.0 engines.

Needless to say, if you need an engine, and find one with silicone in those spots, keep looking because it's probably got serious issues.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

I'm stumped!

Reply #18
Were the heads cut down, or is it a new intake?

Its common to have to mill down surfaces to keep a flush seal.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

I'm stumped!

Reply #19
The only time RTV is ever a problem is when you get people using it who don't know what their doing, and end up gobbing half the tube around a water jacket, which then squishes into the ports once they tighten things down. Use it sparingly and you will never have that problem.