Skip to main content
Topic: A/c Problems - Solved! (Read 977 times) previous topic - next topic

A/c Problems - Solved!

I'm having problems with my AC guys.  I have a multimeter so what I did is probe the connector to the compresser and then I bypassed the cutoff switch.  I still dont get any power to the compressor.  I can hear the W.O.T relay clicking like its cycling the pump but I don't get any power to the connector.  Even if the system was empty doing this I should be able to get the compressor to come on right?  Help!  All this Florida weather is killing me, but I'm in Ohio!
One 88

Re: A/c Problems - Solved!

Reply #1
Well I have fixed it!  I'll write it all in case you other guys are having problems.

First thing I did was try to swap relays (the one behind the breather box).  Well in doing this I discoverd some very corroded connectors.  After doing this I bypassed the cutoff switch and behold it worked!  But why wasn't it cycling by itself?  I probed the switch with a Dvom and found its resistance to be infinate.  I cycled the compressor on and off and observed its reaction.  It never allowed more than 4-5 volts through because of its extremely high resistance.  Well I measured the pressure with a chincy guage that we sell at auto zone and it registerd 86 psi, well over the safe limit.  I measured my ranger wich has a working A/C and it measured about the same, so I ignored it!  I switched the cutoff switches and now my A/C works like it should!  Just gota pick one up tomorrow so the Danger Ranger has A/C still.
One 88

Re: A/c Problems - Solved! My turn now

Reply #2
Sounds like you just went through what I am trying to figure out now. I couldn't get the compressor to kick in, and tried the meter. I also got nothing. I ran a couple test wires direct to the battery while the car was running and it kicked in fine. I figure relay, right?? Well I can't find a relay, my Haynes and Chilton's are vague on this tiopic, and the parts stores show it as unavailable. Does the 87 Cougar 3.8 even have a relay??

What else would you guys suggest trying? Fuses checked out OK also.

Reply #3
Have you check the pressure switch on top of the aspoogeulator.  unplugg the connection to it an jump it with a piece or wire. If the clutch kicks in then the pressure switch or low charge on the system. Also if the system isn't running the pressure evens its self out across the system. When my system isn't runnin I show about 105 psi. The only time the psi should be in the 35-50psi on the low side is with the compressor running. Also isdepend on the outside temp.  I don't know that there is a relay in the system. I also had the very same connection problem as cougar SE I just put some Posi lock connectors on it and all was good.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #4
The relay is behind the Air box and before the strut.  Its called the wide open throttle (W.O.T) cutoff relay but if it malfunctions the system wont work. 

On a side note, my relay started acting worse today.  It now only works if you tap it with something.  Need a new one.
One 88

Reply #5
ipsd, I checked my pressure with the car running and it showed 30 Psi.  Thanks
One 88