Skip to main content
Topic: Rear upper control arm bushings on differential. (Read 2678 times) previous topic - next topic

Rear upper control arm bushings on differential.

My axle is still on my car still hooked up to my drive shaft. Shocks, control arms, springs, tires, and rims are all off. My bushings are old and hard. How do you take them out? Is there a special tool I can buy for this operation? Putting them in is not bad, taking them out is another story. The front ones I had to drive the sleeve out then cut the bushings out. Thanks, in advance for your help!

Reply #1
I saw where one guy uses a hole saw to cut them out, then files down what is left.

Reply #2
Simple you burn them out. Best way but it makes a lot of SMOKE!!! This of course if the instructions says use the original sleeves. If toy have new sleeves what you do is use a cold chisel and collapse them in to each other and they come right out.

Then you install the sleeves if required. Some dont use new ones they use the originals. Then lube the poli ones with dialectic compound and press them in like this. Simple!!!

I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #3
Tom,
 I have a propane torch and a brand new hole saw that's the perfect size. One way or another they are coming out. I'll try the torch first on the ones I have removed and see how that goes. I've been trying to decide if I should take the gas tank out and flush it. I'm sure it has never been done in 26 years. Then I can feel safer using the torch on the differential. Thanks!

Reply #5
You have to be careful with tools like this. You need inserts in between the A arm center section so you dont crush them in. People use an arbor press without supporting the ends and they sometimes crush the outer portion of the arms in. I use the C clip inserts to avoid this. You can make a set of supports from some angle iron cut to length that will support the arm when installing bushings. Once you burn out the bushings with a torch they will be able to be pushed out with ease. Then the shells van be cleaned if they are to be re-used. If the kit has new shells the old ones can be collapsed with a cold chisel and removed very easily. All you do is use the chisel on the open side of the shells and beat them in. They shrink then come out in 2 seconds. But remember ehen installing the arms open ends must be supported with C clips or cut to size angle iron. I really should do a write up on this as it is very easy to install and remove the bushings with my method. I have changed litterly hundreds of bushinge in my life and this is the best and easiest way.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

Reply #6
The tool posted is good for the axle side of the job. Or you can use a beater sleeve. The axle ends are basically beat out and beat back in. Or you can use an OTC Ball joint press to do the job. I thought you were talking about the trailing arms sorry!! Here is a set of stock lowers i modified. I totally boxed them and installed POLY BUSHINGS. Then JR shot them with Water Born Porsche Gray. Sorry for the mix up.

Reply #7
I didnt have a regular tourch when I did mine so I set them in a vice and left my burnzomatic tourch on them untill they slid right out.
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin:

Reply #8
That is how it is DUN!!! Once the center sleeve gets hot it will melt the rubber enough to slide the rubber out like hot butter. Then the outside casing if it has to be removed can be crushed in with a cold chisel. Then the new bushings can be hammered in. Normally i do not use a press for this as hammering is better because of the shock factor when driving them in.

Reply #9
Well, today I will try my luck at turning petrified rubber into hot butter. When I did my front control arms and I figured out how much pressure would be needed to press them out, I could visualize crushing the control arms. That"s why I did it the hard way by cutting them out with a hammer and screw driver. NOTICE! I asked before I attempted the rear ones... that's progress, and as usual you guys came through again! I'll be on the back porch sending up smoke signals (remember I live in Arizona, that's what we do). Thanks!

Reply #10
Be careful that rubber sometimes POPS and will stick to your skin. Wear eye protection and be careful!!!

Reply #11
Safety glasses and gloves. Will do.

Reply #12
Those bushings on the axle come from the dealer with new sleeves. (Don't put poly in there)

Do you have an air compressor?  Air chisel?  I've removed several sets of the differential bushings from the housing with an air chisel. They drive out pretty easily, and then installing the new ones just takes a hammer and a piece of pipe that mates up to the .  Alternatively, you can use the B-joint press like Tom has shown above.

I guess if no air comp, then burn the rubber out and crush the sleeves to remove them.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #13
Chuck,
          I was wondering why you say not to put poly on the differential? The kit even comes with them. What would I put in there instead?

Reply #14
If you have poly every where else back there, use factory rubber.  You need a point of deflection in the stock splayed 4-link, over wise you get bind, then you get snap over-steer, then you get to skittering off the road into a mess.

If you only drive the car in a straight line, then poly is OK there, but I bet you do plan on turning the car once in a while.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon