Skip to main content
Topic: Tranny Leak..... (Read 1196 times) previous topic - next topic

Tranny Leak.....

Ok so I have the red 5.0 TC in running driving condition but I am losing a significant amount of fluid from the front seal of the tranny.  Now I know that the seal will have to be replaced at some point, but is there something I can add to the tranny to slow or stop the leak temporarily?  the engine will probably be coming out in the spring so I can change the seal then, I just need something quick because the cruise night is coming up in a couple of weeks and I promised the wife she could drive it.

Tranny Leak.....

Reply #1
Is it tagged,insured and legal yet? Don't take chances just for a cruise night. Pull the tranny and swap the seal. Take the other Bird with the t-tops.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Tranny Leak.....

Reply #3
Bad stuff....not worth the risk. No tag, no insurance, no title.......one wrong turn, one person hits YOU and not the other way around (or worse, you hit them), and it's going to be very expensive....not worth a cruise night. You have what? Like 36 cars in your yard? Use one of those. If you can't afford to do it right, can you really afford to do it wrong.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Tranny Leak.....

Reply #4
Vinnie has a point G...look at what Nicole and I have to deal with...that one ticket is 1500 bucks. Was it worth it? shag no.
Hope ya get that seal fixed and the title asap bro.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Tranny Leak.....

Reply #5
A seal is cheap. Do it right or leave it alone until you can. Getting big fines and the potential to get large tickets or sued for no insurance by the person you may hit isn't really that impressive to the "cruise in" crowd.

Tranny Leak.....

Reply #6
Big fines suck. We are going to go try to get the one ticket reduced or dropped. We're hoping for the best but we are prepared for the worst. I've had as couple of dealings with the deputy who wrote those tickets on an unrelated matter (store theft at where I work by a customer) and things have been civil and business-like with he and I. I've got no time for enemies of the badge wearing kind, or any else, but if we can se through with that ticket getting reduced a bit, it's worth the court appearance.

Anyway G, if you do take the 5.0 TC, at least get insurance if you haven't already...improper tags are bad enough but no insurance is not kosher bro ;)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Tranny Leak.....

Reply #7
only reason for using the tag was to get it to the exhaust shop and to and from the show, I have no plans of using this car for anything more than that until I get the title straightened out.

Tranny Leak.....

Reply #9
It should take you any longer than half  day to R&R the transmission and replace the leaking seal, assuming you have the tools and space to get her up in the air far enough and safe enough to disconnect the transmission, remove the torque converter and replace the seal.  The transmission doesn't even have to come out from under the car.

Tranny Leak.....

Reply #10
im not aware of any magic juice to swell it up for you , sucks but trans needs backed off the block and once there, put the new in.

I can do it with two long bolts at the top of the bellhousing, drop the drive shave at the rear, then use a ratchet strap to pull the trans back while its riding on a floor jack.  did this only once but it took me all afternoon.  I dont have a lift.
it may be cheaper to go to a trans shop where they charge like 300bux to swap in a transmission from a bone yard with no warranty,, got a place like that?  they dont have to swap it out though.

Tranny Leak.....

Reply #11
Get another guy and just jerk it out and throw in a new seal. Shouldn't take but an afternoon, weekend if all hell breaks loose and lines twist off in the case or something.
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

Tranny Leak.....

Reply #12
I bought a transmission adapter for my floor jack, once it gets here I will pull the tranny and replace the seal.  I really hope the driveshaft bolts come out without too much of a fight.

Tranny Leak.....

Reply #13
do yourself a favor and do a tailshaft bushing as well.
you can hack saw off about 1/4'' of the new one and then line it up and tap it in pushing the old one forward.
there is enough room in there for two bushings just that one needs to be narrower.

not that it matters but hey, its just another tiny and inexpensive part that rarely gets attention.  The tail shaft is easy to remove as well if you dont like this short cut method.  Thank Turbocoup50 for this tip i have saved in my diy link from a few years back.  it worked like a charm just like he said.

you gotta get your new bushing weap hole just right though,, i think it goes down iirc so it drains into the tailshaft slot and back into the trans.