Skip to main content
Topic: fuel tank (Read 1135 times) previous topic - next topic

fuel tank

I need a new fuel tank and pump for an 86 XR7.Pulled the tank today and its a mess.

fuel tank

Reply #1
I ordered one from Ebay. Less than $100 shipped. Came with the o-ring seals and lock rings. Only took a few days.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

fuel tank

Reply #2
It worked for my car............

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fuel-Tank-Gas-Silver-Mercury-Cougar-88-87-86-Ford-Thunderbird-Continental-/230809709576?fits=Year:1988|Model:Thunderbird&hash=item35bd54ac08&item=230809709576&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

fuel tank

Reply #3
I ordered one for my 87 off Rock auto a few years back it was under 100 bucks shipped. I just looked one up for your car and they are listing a close out one for $40         

1986 MERCURY COUGAR 2.3L 140cid L4 Turbocharged SOHC : Fuel/Air : Fuel Tank  Wiki Price Alternate
No parts for vehicles in selected markets.
FINELINE Part # FLF23B    (Only 4 Remaining)

$36.89 
Add Part

fuel tank

Reply #4
I just got one off ebay a week ago and it works great.

fuel tank

Reply #5
vinnie, its says that gas tank is galvanized.  How was the quality, it didn't start rusting did it?  I need a new tank and I thought id have to paint it with POR to keep out the rust
1988 Cougar LS - Cinnabar/Rose Quartz Metallic two tone - 3.8 V6 - Rescue
1988 Cougar LS - Cinnabar/Rose Quartz Metallic two tone - 5.0 V8 - Survivor

fuel tank

Reply #6
Quote from: jonwayne1988;397759

You can buy shiznit off ebay but not send parts to your buyers, or refunds? GTFO.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

fuel tank

Reply #7
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;397777
You can buy shiznit off ebay but not send parts to your buyers, or refunds? GTFO.

is that true?  Very uncool Mr. Wayne.....not what were about here......

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

fuel tank

Reply #8
Mine has been great. No issues. Solid tank, quality piece. I didn't expect it, but as I said, it came with lock rings and the seals for them. I got the new vent tube seal from Ford for cheap. The baffle inside was solidly attached as well.

fuel tank

Reply #9
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;397777

If you look at the sellers, and find one that has hundreds of transactions and 100 or nearly 100% feedback, you're generally safe. I have never bought anything off Ebay that ripped me off. The possibility is there, as with any transaction anywhere. But the odds are slim on Ebay if you do a quick check on the seller. How long they have been a member, how many transactions, feedback score.

fuel tank

Reply #11
Where can you get the new seal for the filler tube part that fits in tank?

fuel tank

Reply #12
Quote from: 83TB;397813
Where can you get the new seal for the filler tube part that fits in tank?

ford still has them, thats the only place that I know of.  They sell them for about $25

fuel tank

Reply #13
Quote from: jonwayne1988;397759

jonwayne1988.................aren't you the one that didn't send parts to Kitz? Or am I mistaken?

fuel tank

Reply #14
He is.

His name is Chris Pembleton, and he lives in the Kansas City metro area. I have a friend who lives there, who is huge into the Mustang scene. I can spread the word (maybe I already have...you never know about me, I've got a horrible temper and an amazing memory for names) and believe me, I can get shiznit hopping like a hayfield full of grasshoppers under a tornado in July. Wanna play???
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)