Skip to main content
Topic: Bird Hunting (Read 2095 times) previous topic - next topic

Bird Hunting

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/3250633328.html Going to go check this out sometime this week, anything I should keep an eye out for. I own an 87' 3.8 but I acquired the car and didn't buy it. So any problems with the 5.0's? There should be no rust or anything so not really worried about that. Guys think I can pick it up for $600?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bird Hunting

Reply #1
I think it's well worth the 800 he's asking. Looks like it needs a few minor things, but it seems like a nice car.
2002 Honda Civic EX

1984 Ford Thunderbird Elan
5.0 CFI, T5, Dual Exhaust

Bird Hunting

Reply #2
I'd offer $500 and move up from there.  If you offer the $800 right up front, even if it is worth it, the owner will feel that they priced the car too low and will feel that you cheated them, even though they are the ones that set the price.  Everyone expects some degree of negotiation and the lower your starting price, combined with the closer you get to their asking price, will make the seller "feel" that they are getting the better end of the deal.

Bird Hunting

Reply #3
Yeah thats what i will try to explain And that they wouldnt get much more for the car at a syard.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bird Hunting

Reply #4
Another thing you might be able to make use of, is that when you make each of your offers, only increment in small numbers like $10-20 at a time, saving the "meet me halfway" for the final bid.  Always look the seller directly in the eye, without blinking or looking away, until after they have responded to your number.  Also, never let the seller see you become attached to the car.  Take your time between increasing offers and kind of keep looking at the car, especially its weak spots, with a frown and maybe a slight shake of the head.  When you get to the highest offer you are willing to make, tell the seller so by saying "this is my final offer" and then you MUST be willing to walk away without looking back. If they refuse your final offer, wish them good luck with their sale and leave your name and contact information. In conjunction with walking away without looking back, the seller immediately will have second thoughts and doubts (a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush).  If and when they call you, you can continue with your negotiations, but start right back near the bottom of what you offered previously.  If they say something like "yesterday you were willing to offer $650, but today you're offering $500?", tell them that even though the car has , you were trying to help them out, but since they were unwilling, you wasted your time and gasoline. By continuing negotiations on the phone, you no longer have to worry as much about giving the seller an advantage.

Bird Hunting

Reply #5
Crazy88, have you worked as a salesman before? Haha I talked to the guy today and he says the transmission is slipping, but I'm thinking it might be just OD gear or lack of/too much tranny fluid. Told me most of the things that are wrong with the car, but i'll be going to check it out this Saturday and may have to make some space in the driveway for a second bird, I'll see how it goes and see what I can uncover under that 190k motor.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bird Hunting

Reply #6
Quote from: FirstBird;397496
Crazy88, have you worked as a salesman before? Haha I talked to the guy today and he says the transmission is slipping, but I'm thinking it might be just OD gear or lack of/too much tranny fluid. Told me most of the things that are wrong with the car, but i'll be going to check it out this Saturday and may have to make some space in the driveway for a second bird, I'll see how it goes and see what I can uncover under that 190k motor.

Nope, I have just bought and sold a lot of cars in the past 35 years. ;)

Bird Hunting

Reply #7
Rusty radiator= leaks and overheats.

Trans starting to slip= rebuild of AOD.

I've looked at enough of cars over the years to figure out that "little problems" are usually big problems, otherwise the seller would fix it themselves instead of selling it ;).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Bird Hunting

Reply #8
Quote from: thunderjet302;397510

I've looked at enough of cars over the years to figure out that "little problems" are usually big problems, otherwise the seller would fix it themselves instead of selling it ;).

Yeah, that kinda goes without saying.  It is the potential of having to rebuild the AOD that I would be most concerned with.  Another possibility is that the radiator has gone so bad that the water/antifreeze is crossing over into the trans cooler and contaminating the trans fluid. I had a similar thing happen on my old '88 LX, except that it contaminated the power steering instead, burning up the pump and requiring a rebuilt rack in the process.  Check trans fluid and smell it.  If it smells burnt, run because the car has been beat on... HARD.  If it appears fresh, indicates being full and slips severely, plan on a rebuild.

Bird Hunting

Reply #9
Thanks for the insight, when I talked to the guy he said the car drives fine,(doesn't over heat, that was actually my first question lol) to some people visual things mean different things. To me rust would mean the whole radiator is falling apart,leaking,etc. The way he described it was that it was just an old radiator, but we will see what happens, the guy is in college I believe as I am meeting him on the campus, so I don't know maybe he's just not aware and listens to mechanics too much. I will also have to check the grommet for the tv cable as that may cause a slipping. We will see, I don't need another bird, but if it does turn out to be minor things. Two is always better than One. He says the suspension is brand new and it was repainted a few years ago, We shall see pictures don't show many imperfections.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bird Hunting

Reply #10
Man if that car was around here, I'd be all over it!!!
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Bird Hunting

Reply #11
Go look it over and go for a drive.  That should answer all your questions.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Bird Hunting

Reply #12
Quote from: thunderjet302;397510

My thoughts exactly. I wouldn't offer more than $400-500 A rebuild of the trans is going to run 5-600, and a new radiator is $100 plus with fluids, new hoses, etc. Is the car really worth putting that much into it? How long does a 190,000 mile motor have left? You're call, but it'd get it cheap cheap or not at all, and start looking for a motor to put in it.

Bird Hunting

Reply #13
Thats what i am planning to do, as long as the car would make it to my house a HO swap can always occur though so i am not to worried about that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bird Hunting

Reply #14
$500 is more then fair for a car with a bad transmission and bad radiator.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com