Skip to main content
Topic: Someone lost their mind on this one!! (Read 4753 times) previous topic - next topic

Someone lost their mind on this one!!

Reply #1
Not really sure what to make of that one. Seems like a good idea, but I'm sure we'll get screwed somehow. They'll probably banish our cars from the road.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

Reply #2
Only way to accomplish this at this time would be if all vehicles were hybrid. I don't know how efficient battery recycling is, but it seems to me that we are trading one form of pollution for another. Wish they would back off of this and explore CNG. It would be much easier to convert older vehicles to CNG than electric hybrids. Government will kill our hobby just yet!

Reply #3
yeah, chevy volt out the door now,, seems like there is some degree of lack of confidence in the realistic approach.
sounds good on paper but sooner than you think, it will be illegal to even own a weapon such as ours and drive it on the road because all the other cars will not stand a chance if hit by us.  For once, our front ends might not shatter with thier light weight tin foil cars.

Reply #4
This isn't saying that every car and truck that any automaker builds has to get 54.5mpg, its saying that the automaker has to average 54.5 across their lineup.  Having a Volt that averages 100 mpg-e means that gm can have trucks that get 25 mpg,  if you add the combined fuel econ together for the whole line and divide by the number of models,  your average will need to be 54.5 minimum. I think this is doable in the space of 13 years.  What will it look like? No idea.

Reply #5
Quote from: TheFoeYouKnow;397350
This isn't saying that every car and truck that any automaker builds has to get 54.5mpg, its saying that the automaker has to average 54.5 across their lineup.  Having a Volt that averages 100 mpg-e means that gm can have trucks that get 25 mpg,  if you add the combined fuel econ together for the whole line and divide by the number of models,  your average will need to be 54.5 minimum. I think this is doable in the space of 13 years.  What will it look like? No idea.
That's a mighty high average.

Reply #6
This whole discussion is laughable when standards are being set based upon nothing more than rhetorical nonsense.  How many years advance notice does it take before we can set standards that require all new cars to operate on recycled elephant pee?  Is 50 years too soon? Would such lunacy also be viewed by the ignorant as a great achievement?  What exactly has been accomplished by setting a standard so high, yet no current technology can begin to achieve? 

Someone deigned to mention the Chevy Volt...on a FORD site no less.  That heresy aside, lets take a look at the volt shall we?  Its range on a full overnight charge is about 25 miles, at which point it's forced to run on gasoline.  However, this isn't some featherweight automobile we are talking about.  There are about 1500 lbs. of batteries and associated electronics being hauled around.  What is wrong with that you might ask?  Well, consider the fact that when running on gasoline, real world number suggest that on the Volt's best day and under ideal cirspoogestances, when it comes to gasoline, it slurps it faster than the most heavily optioned SUV.  I know, I know...so it runs on electricity those first 25 miles right?  So how does the majority of the electricity in the United States get generated?  Can anyone say COAL... you know that shiny black stuff that the jolly old fat man leaves for naughty children?  I know, that no fair, since we should let these little inconvenient facts get in the way or anything... After all, we are trying to turn green.  A little hint for the truly stupid.  You have a better chance of turning blue than turning green... hold you breath and stamp you feet and it could happen.  Of course I suppose that if you hold your breath long enough, you would die and maybe eventually rot, thus fulfilling your dreams of recycling and becoming as green as the fresh BS some have been shoveling...

Reply #7
Going GREEN IS VERY EXPENSIVE FOR US PEONS!!! The big shots always come out smelling like ROSES!!! I know it is an average but that is why GM makes the HHR. And Chrysler makes the PT CRUSER. They are used to average the mileage from bad to GOOD. But 54 that is completely NUTS and wont be easy to accomplish. Then you have the people that want to CRUSH OUR RIDES. Ask them they will telly you so. I had a PRIUS owner bash my Mustang at the local SHOP RIGHT the other day. The lady who was lets say not so PETITE told me i was a PIG!!! And was killing her air. I responded by telling her all my cars are state inspected and pass every emission test every 2 years. But they dont  care. So lets get some good shoes as they want us walking. 88 is correct the energy has to come from somewhere. And these tree huggers dont want you to have a car that spews out HP and is bigger than a chevy AVEO. Time will end our passion as we are loosing the BATTLE and the Tree Huggers ar winning the WAR!!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #9
Quote from: TOM Renzo;397357
Going GREEN IS VERY EXPENSIVE FOR US PEONS!!! The big shots always come out smelling like ROSES!!! I know it is an average but that is why GM makes the HHR. And Chrysler makes the PT CRUSER. They are used to average the mileage from bad to GOOD. But 54 that is completely NUTS and wont be easy to accomplish. Then you have the people that want to CRUSH OUR RIDES. Ask them they will telly you so. I had a PRIUS owner bash my Mustang at the local SHOP RIGHT the other day. The lady who was lets say not so PETITE told me i was a PIG!!! And was killing her air. I responded by telling her all my cars are state inspected and pass every emission test every 2 years. But they dont  care. So lets get some good shoes as they want us walking. 88 is correct the energy has to come from somewhere. And these tree huggers dont want you to have a car that spews out HP and is bigger than a chevy AVEO. Time will end our passion as we are loosing the BATTLE and the Tree Huggers ar winning the WAR!!!

I agree!

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #10
Thanks BAD BIRD You got it and understand their agenda.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #11
Hey....even if we have to go backward with horsepower again, last time we only hit 400-500 horsepower (which was Gross rating anyway), now we have SAE certified 700+ horsepower out of the Shelby Super Snake, the Bugatti Veyron at over 1k if you count the high-roller toys, SSC Ultimate Aero at over 1k as well to stay American.

All of us on here play with old stuff, anyone that did back in the 70s still got to have fun. It'll be the same drill LOL!!!
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #12
Im just hoping my bird and supra never have to pass an emissions test again. As long as my cars are exempt I don't care what they do with new cars.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

Reply #13
“This historic agreement builds on the progress we’ve already made to save families money at the pump..." and buttstuff rape them at the showroom.

"Simply put, this groundbreaking program will result in vehicles that use less gas, travel farther, and provide more efficiency for consumers than ever before—all while protecting the air we breathe and giving automakers the regulatory certainty to build the cars of the future [anywhere but] here in America,”
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Reply #14
It seems technical and medical advances always come with war.  Now maybe the government wants to make a war to push the issue.  On the funny side right now, it would look to me like such vehicles must be rickshaws with lawn mower engines?