Skip to main content
Topic: Crimper for our cars connectors (Read 1470 times) previous topic - next topic

Crimper for our cars connectors

what type of proper crimper is required to make the correct looking connections in a typical vehicle application.

will be reworking some hot spot connections in the near future, resource for pins also would be nice.

Reply #2
that looks right, it appears you do your proper crimp in two stages,
one step to fold the strain relief ears on the lug
one step on a separate die to crimp the proper gauge wire.

thanks!

Reply #3
that tool is a mini version of the lug crimper I used running bond wires
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #4
got one on order today,, must now seek a bundle package of pins for #10 on down assortment of automotive connectors.  Plan to replace ign switch ends on masons bird before he jumps out of the nest and off to college in charlottsville va

Reply #5
Has anyone ever seen the spot in a harness where a bunch of grounds come together? Looks like the bare stranded wires are 'crimped' together under extreme pressure making a nice flat compact crimp. Always wondered about that tool. Must take a bit of set up to get correct, too little pressure the crimp comes apart, too much pressure and the it's flattened to the point of weakness.
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #6
No i have not, I am aware of a huge amount of ground terminations on the transmission tunnel like direcly below your radio.
A welded stud catches a whole bunch of grounds there.
got a pic or general location of this ground you speak of?

I got my crimper in today and its the perfect tool just like the one Mike posted a link to.  T&B / Burndy make them so i optioned for the T&B version, would rather have had the burndy one but its lead time was 45days.

close up of the jaws and a typical terminal that would require this crimper.
Its a two crimp process to do it like oem.
ignore the other stuff around it, thats another converstation im having with one of my job sites.

Reply #7
Quote from: jcassity;396627
No i have not, I am aware of a huge amount of ground terminations on the transmission tunnel like direcly below your radio.
A welded stud catches a whole bunch of grounds there.
got a pic or general location of this ground you speak of?

Here it is. I don't remember the specifics but I think it was from a piece of Ford harness I got at a junkyard. I unwrapped it to see how the crimps were made and found this. Very interesting...

X
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #8
Spliced and soldered.  I don't recall seeing these in our harnesses, but I have seen them in a few older Ford's.

Reply #9
No, not soldered (in the traditional way).

I did some more research and am thinking it's ultrasonic welding. Very neat.

[INDENT]The ultrasonic welding process creates solid-state metallurgical bonds without producing arcs, sparks, or fumes, or melting wires. Ultrasonic technology eliminates any need for filler metal materials or for clipping, soldering, crimping, or dipping. [/INDENT]
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #10
Perhaps so.  The ones I have seen had solder visible, but I'll readily admit that I have not seen every type of connection ever used either.

Reply #11
Chiming in here if i am not mistaken those wires are spot welded. I was told by a wiring engineer from GM that the auto industry as well as other industries will not be allowed to solder in the future. As the matter of fact they are going to ban solder as we know it. That is why i have stored up app 60 POUNDS of the stuff. I have had several issues with the over the road rigs that use solderless connections. They stink they are a real headache and if not redesigned we are in a heap of trouble. Thanks.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #12
speaking to solder, in my industry of high and low voltage power, Tin is an acceptable means of coating copper buss bars and the like.
If the industry leans towards tin as an acceptable means to coating wire, then yes the process of soldering may need changed since tin is so hard.

I thought the weld shown would have been something like a cad weld without the mold but on an electrical scale like arch welding the copper together.