Skip to main content
Topic: Stock flat hood needed in NY..... (Read 3081 times) previous topic - next topic

Stock flat hood needed in NY.....

Reply #45
lol... you know Vinnie.... always a secret

I also have an extra header panel with lights..

how about interior parts like the cups on the door handles?,.... maybe other interior panels? a gauge pod really made for our cars, or other custom mod parts
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #46
Quote from: Kitz Kat;396987
How much demand is a big ??.

There are initial costs of making the short run molds, therefore being able to recover those costs is something of a concern. A small run of 10-20 would very likely cover those initial costs.

Quote from: daminc;396997
how about interior parts like the cups on the door handles?,.... maybe other interior panels? a gauge pod really made for our cars, or other custom mod parts

I can make molds for just about anything, but some things, such as items with textures, complicate the mold making process, especially with regard to short run molds.  short run Injection molds are typically made from aluminum and those would need to be outsourced, or the quality of the piece would suffer and as a result, the cost per unit would be higher.  Would you provide me a picture of the "cups" you're talking about? With regard to the gauge pod, are you referring to a pillar pod or something else entirely?  If a pillar pod, do all of our cars use the same pillar or is that something specific to generation, e.g. '87-88, etc.?

The clear facia of the one piece assemblies would be have to be outsourced to a local shop that has done similar work for me in the past.  Their charges are reasonable however and they typically charge me by the hour plus materials. I have watched with interest several others using home made vacuum formed lenses made of acrylic.  I believe the material they are using is much too thin for more than a one off piece and will very likely cloud and yellow in a very short time due to oxidation, UV and heat. I think I can make the "cup pieces" with 8 molds, four for each side.  What I mean by that is the outer marker and the headlamp would be a single mold, the inner marker would be a separate mold, since these are unique to each type of header panel, one for Cougars, one for base 'Birds and one for the TC.

I have a TC header, so I would need to locate a base 'Bird header panel in addition to both of your offers.

My apologies for hijacking the thread, perhaps I need to create a new thread for this topic, eh?

Reply #47
I don't know if those pillars are all the same on all the cars up to 88.

I can get you a pic of the cups later today.. and maybe other things of interest
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #48
Crazy88, hijack all you want. I think Jerry and I have what we need worked out. Please, continue with the mold stuff. I am all good with that.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #49
Crazy88, a small and hard to find-in-good-shae item is the door handle cups for the NON TC style door panels....very hard to find unbroken. Plus they;re small so it souldn't cost a ton to make a mold....I'll take 6. Name your price..any color is fine by me..lol
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #50
I think I MAY have some more NOS door handle cups in the garage. $20.00 each.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #51
door handle cup.... 1st time it's ever seen air outside it's sealed Ford baggie...lol

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #52
Quote from: daminc;396418
is the hood rust free?
how much for the car?

You interested?
:ford::oldcougar::mercury:

Reply #53
Ah, I see. Those wouldn't be difficult at all to make, though I need to make it clear that they would be made with reinforced epoxy resin.  I could probably replace the gelcoat with a color other than black, but matching interior colors without samples would be problematic. Do they need to be flexible at all or would solid be alright?  Where to they typically break?

Reply #54
Quote from: cougar1car;397139
You interested?

we already found a hood.. so no need for the car... I would feel bad stripping it, and parting it anyway
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #55
Quote from: Crazy88;397146
Ah, I see. Those wouldn't be difficult at all to make, though I need to make it clear that they would be made with reinforced epoxy resin.  I could probably replace the gelcoat with a color other than black, but matching interior colors without samples would be problematic. Do they need to be flexible at all or would solid be alright?  Where to they typically break?

they break along the thin section, and in the screw hole areas... the get very brittle over time.... if black is the cheapest option, they can be painted to match the interior colors... I've also seen 1 go for around $50 on ebay before
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #56
vinnie,
im sure you have a sketch or something as a heads up to share?

Reply #57
Quote from: daminc;397149
they break along the thin section, and in the screw hole areas... the get very brittle over time.... if black is the cheapest option, they can be painted to match the interior colors... I've also seen 1 go for around $50 on ebay before

Hmm, $50 each sounds pretty ridiculous to me.  Being textured, I would need a decent left and right piece to make the molds with.  They don't have to match (colorwise), but every unrepaired flaw in the "originals", will be present in the new parts.

Reply #58
Quote from: jcassity;397188
vinnie,
im sure you have a sketch or something as a heads up to share?

Of the hood? It's just a flat silver hood.

Reply #59
Quote from: Crazy88;397192
Hmm, $50 each sounds pretty ridiculous to me.  Being textured, I would need a decent left and right piece to make the molds with.  They don't have to match (colorwise), but every unrepaired flaw in the "originals", will be present in the new parts.

I can send only one mint cup...it's yours as long as I get one back somewhere along the way.... I may also have the other on my 87. I can check
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook