Skip to main content
Topic: Setting up the springs. (Read 1728 times) previous topic - next topic

Setting up the springs.

I bought a spring compressor, but with this car (1986 cougar, 5.0) I have to compress them with an arch and let the arm lay on the ground, them pry it into it's well. On one of them I missed the mark (covering one hole but not the next) by about an inch. In other words, I didn't cover the first hole I missed it by about an inch. Does this cause a little more pressure on one side than the other, will driving it work it into position, and if not, do I need to correct it because it is that important?  Thanks!

Setting up the springs.

Reply #1
Yep, you'll need to align it properly..
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Setting up the springs.

Reply #2
Makes me wonder if you do not have a long enough spring compressor.  Can you post up a picture of the one you have?

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Setting up the springs.

Reply #3
Use an internal style spring compressor. You'll also need a good floor jack. Once the spring and compressor are in and seated, you'll need to raise the C/A a little to be able to take out the internal screw, then slide the plate part as you let the jack back down a little. Don't let it down all the way until you have the strut and spindle properly bolted down. A loaded spring can shoot out and do mondo damage before you can blink. I have seen the aftermath of this....kid has a round depression in his forehead from it.

I went with '97 Stang GT springs this last time I had mine apart, I only had to pry them up just a bit and they seated...not enough pressure to kick back out on me. If you're not sure, you can take a solid metal bar about an inch or so in diameter, and slide it down through the strut tower and through the spring, and on through the control arm to have a safe method of dealing with stuff while the spindle is off. Of course, it'd be best to have a helper slide it down in there as you take the strut out, then you can let the jack down and take some load off of the spring. It's how i do it, and I haven't yet had one let go, but if it does, at least it will be contained and I won't be hurt, just scared shiznitless, lol.

PS, a broom handle probably wouldn't cut it, lol.
'98 Explorer 5.0

Setting up the springs.

Reply #4
All done. I really didn't have much trouble at all. The spring compressor is as you described, the package it came in warned not to over compress, that's why I pressed it in the rest of the way with a metal bar like I did. Now I'm still working on getting the oil pan off....Geez, I might as well pull the engine out. Front end is almost done, just waiting for a couple of tie rod ends and engine mounts. Thanks, for your time.
Frank

Setting up the springs.

Reply #5
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;396212
Use an internal style spring compressor. You'll also need a good floor jack. Once the spring and compressor are in and seated, you'll need to raise the C/A a little to be able to take out the internal screw, then slide the plate part as you let the jack back down a little. Don't let it down all the way until you have the strut and spindle properly bolted down. A loaded spring can shoot out and do mondo damage before you can blink. I have seen the aftermath of this....kid has a round depression in his forehead from it.

I went with '97 Stang GT springs this last time I had mine apart, I only had to pry them up just a bit and they seated...not enough pressure to kick back out on me. If you're not sure, you can take a solid metal bar about an inch or so in diameter, and slide it down through the strut tower and through the spring, and on through the control arm to have a safe method of dealing with stuff while the spindle is off. Of course, it'd be best to have a helper slide it down in there as you take the strut out, then you can let the jack down and take some load off of the spring. It's how i do it, and I haven't yet had one let go, but if it does, at least it will be contained and I won't be hurt, just scared shiznitless, lol.

PS, a broom handle probably wouldn't cut it, lol.

What internal spring compressor are you referring to?  I cannot seem to find any that will fit this car.  Do you have a part number or picture of what type you used?

Thanks! Tim

Setting up the springs.

Reply #7
Here is what we are talking about:

You can typically rent one at AutoZone or OReilly's.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Setting up the springs.

Reply #8
Yep...I rented one from Oreilly's. It's a little hassle to get it out once the spring is in place, but it's worth it.
'98 Explorer 5.0

Setting up the springs.

Reply #9
Actually, I always take it apart when it's still in the spring. I use a socket with an extension, slip it through the spring and dismantle. The pieces are a lot easier to take out and it's easy to put back together afterwards.

Setting up the springs.

Reply #10
:brick:I had problem trying to fit through hole in bottom of control arm when I tried the ones from the part stores.  So you say assemble inside the spring I want to remove from the car?  It's been awhile since I tried it last, I don't know why I didn't try that or if I did:brick:

Setting up the springs.

Reply #11
Leave in when removing, disassemble when on your bench. I do the same when it's on the car, but it's VERY dangerous if you don't know what your doing.