Skip to main content
Topic: So Much for Hi-Tech (Read 1304 times) previous topic - next topic

So Much for Hi-Tech

In 2001 I bought the shop manual for my '01 Grand Marquis on CD. Great space saver, not having all those big books.
Yesterday I took four old computers to the recycler after moving all my stuff to my new Win 7 64 bit machine. I should have taken the CD to the dump too, it is no longer usable.
My daughter works as a volunteer at the Appomattox civil war museum. They are digitizing old dospoogeents so they can be researched with computers.
I am going to call and tell her to make sure they hang on to those 19th century dospoogeents. People a hundred years from now will still be able to read them. I am not so sure about digitized version.

So Much for Hi-Tech

Reply #1
The Constitution. No use in digitizing it.....it's already been ass-raped beyond all effing recognition..

Seriously, I understand your point. Anything can be typed up or created on a computer...those historic dospoogeents are truly one-off mods...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

So Much for Hi-Tech

Reply #2
Why was the CD itself no longer usable?  Did it rely on some non-updated piece of software that won't run on newer operating systems and hardware? If so, you can always use a virtual machine to load old software on. Of course this is what happens when the decision to use proprietary or closed software is made with regard to resources like this.

So Much for Hi-Tech

Reply #3
Some folks don't know anything about a virtual system.

But with a little...dare I say it....."Pirating"...you can "acquire" an older OS that can/will install on a flash drive. Connect said drive, load it first in Bios, and then run the program. I do it on my Win 7 Ultimate for some older Win95/98 era games.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

So Much for Hi-Tech

Reply #4
if you get a mac.... well, what can I say..... it's a mac...mines almost 10 years old...still runs like a new one
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

So Much for Hi-Tech

Reply #5
Quote from: daminc;396133
if you get a mac.... well, what can I say..... it's a mac...mines almost 10 years old...still runs like a new one

My main computer is a Mac too, though only 4 years old. With the physical memory I have installed, I can run 6 virtual machines at the same time, as long as only one or two of them is some flavor of winblows. ;)

For those unfamiliar with virtual machines, here is a nice roundup... some of them are free.  I personally use the Mac version of the VMware product because it is virtually cross platform, no pun intended, and has provided me years of trouble free service.

So Much for Hi-Tech

Reply #6
You can run windows 7 in XP compatibility mode natively.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~