Skip to main content
Topic: Need IVR help on instrument cluster **solved** (Read 2565 times) previous topic - next topic

Need IVR help on instrument cluster **solved**

88bird 5.0
buttstuffog cluster***

speedo & tach works all good.

oil, fuel & temp guages randomly drop off to zero and to what appears to be an unpredictable cool off period in which they all come back on line.

now granted my amp guage does not work (masons car), my focus is why the guages i list fall off line.

pls help if you have a chance to post an evtm page that illustrates this buttstuffog cluster.

currently looking at my 87evtm but based on recent examination of the cluster connector, a couple wires are not the same on his 88 connectors as compared to the 87evtm.

thanks

Reply #1
I would be the farm that it is either the IVR or the resistance wire coming from the ignition switch.  My TC did the same thing and I ended up building a solid state IVR instead of the bi-metal IVR that ford installed.  Problems went away forever.

Reply #2
Mine started doing that just before frying the ingition switch.
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin:

Reply #3
Quote from: Crazy88;395957
I would be the farm that it is either the IVR or the resistance wire coming from the ignition switch.  My TC did the same thing and I ended up building a solid state IVR instead of the bi-metal IVR that ford installed.  Problems went away forever.
The original IVR is just the bimetal switch.

The IVR's case is big enough to accomodate an 78T05 and two capacitors. Unfortunately I don't have photo of the modified IVR, it was on the old forum and it's gone.

Reply #4
Will this help?
X
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #5
funny you mention that, his ign sw toasted as well.
tearing into the ivr this weekend, we suspected this to be the common denominator.
Perfect scans!!

Found an EVTM for 16dollars at a book store up here in Eau Clair WI, little dirty but it will work.
will report findings and let you all know.
thanks again, scott

Reply #6
oddly enougth pin A1 on the ign switch shows up as "not used" when you flip to the back of the evtm for continuity check of the ign sw.

This would be for the 87evtm , not sure yet on the 88.

Reply #7
an update and i really need all your expertise on this.
mason has said that over the past couple months the gauges have been progressively cutting off and on and it appeared to him they stayed off longer and longer.

we swapped in a known good IVR and upon starting the car they work.
Inside of a minute or so, the fuel, temp and oil gauge goes to zero.
same results with the original one.

need advice on this, i see certain things on the schematic i should check but if there is an obvious check point, let me know.

what is that big fat 5'' long resistor looking thing on the back of the cluster ?  is it dedicated to just the speedo or tac?

would the reisistor wire be a likely and common fault which is the primary input feed to the ivr?

Reply #8
Got it fixed tonight,
found that on the ign sw there is a small and large Gray/yellow (qty 2) conductors

one small gray yellow per the evtm was not reading correctly and finally found it to be burned at the connection point on the ignition switch.
Side spliced and soldered IVR gray/yellow conductor to large Gray/yellow conductor and all is well.

Did some research on what the large Gray/yellow conductors job is and we think this may be an over loaded circuit depending on what features you have running at once.

sadly, this connector and Start wires have negatively effected the connector , good enough now though and we are working on ways to relieve heat.