Skip to main content
Topic: Turn signals SOLVED!! (Read 2268 times) previous topic - next topic

Turn signals SOLVED!!

I am just about at the end of the road with my 88 5.0 TC build and the only thing holding me up now is that the turn signals wont flash or do anything for that matter, I know I know check the fuse but the fuse is good.  I'm looking for some ideas and maybe an EVTM scan of the turn signal circuit. I have no idea where to start, the hazards flash and all the lights work except for the signals and the cornering lamps.  could this be a relay issue or a bad flasher stuck in the open position?

Turn signals SOLVED!!

Reply #1
Multifunction switch? if you fiddle with the turn signal lever can you find a sweet spot to where they start flashing?

Turn signals SOLVED!!

Reply #2
no flash at all...  well I do have another switch somewhere around here that I can plug in and try...........stay tuned

Turn signals SOLVED!!

Reply #3
If you had the column out or tinkered with any of the under dash wiring, you might check all of the connections to make sure you didn't miss one.

Turn signals SOLVED!!

Reply #4
Just for kicks inspect the plug for melting. Just a thought!! Also check for battery on both sides of the flasher. The battery should be on both sides of the flasher. If it is  the flasher is most likely OK. Then check for battery at the switch. Is it their if so you most likely have a bad MFS. Reason being both sides are out and that means a common issue or battery feed to the switch of a bad switch. Good luck!!

Ckt 44 LB feeds the MFS off the flasher and fuse #5 Hope this helps.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Turn signals SOLVED!!

Reply #5
I've got a coupla MFS's if you need one...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Turn signals SOLVED!!

Reply #6
page 94 of the 87evtm in my link below.
your hazard is fine i know but its above the fuse box.  the turn flasher is below on the same side as the fuses.

pop the bottom cover off your column and you can get to the MFS light blue wire, poke it and see if there is power with a test light with the lever in either the left or right position.

if not, you could apply power to the wire and verify your your MFS is sending power out to the left and right side even though the bulbs wont flash.
If both sides light up then you know the problem is with "what feeds" the MFS.  Apply power to ckt 44, light blue wire.

If nothing lights up,,

apply power to ckts 3 & 2 per page 94 & 95 of the EVTM that power the left / right FRONT turn signals and corning lamp relays (cornering lamps found on page 98)

Apply power to ckts 9 & 5 per page 94 & 95 of the EVTM that powers the left / right REAR turn signals

Turn signals SOLVED!!

Reply #8
Called Scott, and we did some tests and went over the system and we came up with a faulty flasher, now all is well and everything works!