Skip to main content
Topic: Relay modification Headlamp and Marker lamp *pls review (Read 6287 times) previous topic - next topic

Relay modification Headlamp and Marker lamp *pls review

Reply #45
I can not tell if your post contains information "in general" or your post contains information "as a result of doing this mod".....
If you are just discussing symptoms of your lighting acting up, and not a result of adding these relays, then i know what your comments mean...
they mean that your headlamp switch is getting too hot and your wanting to fix that. 

marker lamps:
Post 1, follow it to do your marker lamps.

headlamps
Post 11 is what i installed in my sons car
Post 36 is really cool and does what post 11 does with less parts

i dont have any problems working with you on it, just ring me or my other line is 4082.

good luck!

did you see the relay / fuse bank i made for this work?
its in another thread but here is a quick pic

Reply #46
Ya I know whats causing it. Now Im trying to remedy it. Right now I want to get my highs and lows on a relay/relays so one I can give the poor switch a break and get full battery power to them. Possibly the fogs to so I can take the biggest loads off of the switch. Im just trying to figure out which one of the ideas would be the best for me. Partly because some of them are under the hood it looks like and some under the dash, if Im looking at them right. Of course the diagram distort when I save them and try zooming it to read them better to. Ive found thats the 1 downside to scanned images.

Reply #47
Upon looking at them agian it looks like post 11 I believe will accomplish what I want to, to take the bulk of the loads off the switch and give my headlights full power. Thanks for kinda clarifying things.

Oh and if anyone doesnt believe Im getting close to a 3v drop on the power side I can take a pic of my meter while doing the test. Its surprised the hell out of me!! I havent had time to track down which component is causing it, but I will when I have time just to see if its something I can eliminate.

Reply #48
If you want a better copy, i can do it.

post 11 gives you the most circuit isolation on the concepts.
i have in the picture 3 relays

1 for healamp low beam
1 for headlamp high beam
1 for exterior marker lamps.

there is room for 3 more relays
all circuits i just listed are mounted on that metal bar along with a fuse block.  you may want to copy cat it.
ill post up the link to that in a second,, brb

Reply #49
ok,,

here is the link to the fuse/relay setup i did.

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?34320-Headlamp-HI-Low-relay-mod-**complete&highlight=

enjoy, take your time and please let me know if you have auto lamps or not, it will become very clear to you why i ask this question later if you dont answer.

Reply #51
do post 1 for exterior marker lamps
do  post 11 for high beam & low beam  (or post 36)

Reply #52
there is another element to this ,,

Tom Renzo said he's bypassing the variable resistor in the headlamp switch completely,, makes sense and since we all run dash bulbs on max intensity anyway, it makes a lot of sense.
i dont have a map for that mod but not too hard to figure out. 
i like to keep each feature of the car as much as possible so i prob wont do this to my car.

Reply #53
X

i have 83 model with 4 lights.  The top of the pictures shows how I am considering to wire up the lights. Then I read about only one relay.  The bottom of the picture is me trying to understand how to use just one relay for low/high.  If 87a and 30 are connacted until 85 is triggered by high beam, that seems like low beams would be on all the time.  I might have missed read something in earlier post, could some help me out, I would love to just use one relay if can, if not no big deal. 

Would 30 have to be triggered by the headlamp switch 12v, 85 to high beam wire, 86 ground, 87 high beam lights, 87a low beam lights.  If this is the case using a relay this way is not getting a good 12v from battery is it?

Reply #54
You can't use just one.  You need 2, 1 to turn the lights on and off, and the other to switch between low and high. You may have to increase the fuse to 30A if you were to use the combined beam mod.  OEM's might typically use a 30A fuse at the source, but then they'll add a 10A fuse to each LO beam after the dimmer relay and a 20A fuse shared by both HI's, also after the relay.  At least on newer stuff.

X

Reply #55
You need 2 relays as foe points out. And i always remove the BUFFER RESISTOR in the cluster and run pannel lights full bright and eliminate the variable dimming . This has been a proven fix that i have been doing for years Just me. Good luck

New connector and 2 relays to slave out HI/LO and slave out around headlight switch. Hope this helps!!

I always put the relays close to the switch. Not under the hood where the elements can play NASTY and corrode them!!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #56
Foe,
On 4-eyes, two lights are dual element Hi and Lo and two are Hi only.

Reply #57
A minor detail.  The difference then, is that the blue wire in my diagram should hit all 4 lights and there would be little point to the purple wire.

Reply #58
I wired mine as shown in post #54. I thought this way high and low has its own fuse and relay, if something happens and you blow a fuse or lose a relay you will still have lights. I have yet to road test this, any advantage to Foes diagram other than less wiring?

Reply #59
1. This is the way the autolamp cars are setup.
2. Takes most of the current out of the turn signal switch.
3. Takes most of the current out of the headlight switch.
4. the low beams will work even if the dimmer relay fails, or if the turn signal switch fails.

I have a redundant design for people who don't trust relays, but it's on my computer at home.  I'll post it later.