Skip to main content
Topic: wiring question? (Read 1093 times) previous topic - next topic

wiring question?

I was thinking of using the orange/black wire that went to the stock 75amp alternator for power source for my headlight relays.  this wire connects to the starter solenoid via fusible links from the always hot side of the solenoid. I would still run my fuses for each relay. Any thoughts??

wiring question?

Reply #1
Connect to the battery.  The less you mess with the alternator output, the happier you'll be later.  I haven't got a whole bunch of fancy reasons, but that circuit is only for the output.

wiring question?

Reply #2
Sounds good, thanks!

wiring question?

Reply #3
Well that is OK but totally unnecessary. The stock wiring is fine it is the switch that is the week link in the system. I have never seen a stock wiring harness melt that feeds the headlight switch. All you have to do is slave the headlights at the switch and as usual people over complicate and totally not necessary extra wiring for nothing. I have seen so many people overdesign wiring in my career it is not even funny. Once again the stock wiring is totally adequate.

Here is one of my headlight mods. Neat clean and totally effective

I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

wiring question?

Reply #4
there is something to this headlamp wiring being weak in an area,, cant remmeber the topic but it was several years ago that thundercihicken made a valid point that the wiring is barely getting by.  Not sure if he will chime in or not, id be interested to hear his take also.  Voltage drop means alot when we are starting with such a low potential anyway.

wiring question?

Reply #5
High current draw through the switch is the real issue, not the gauge of the wire or even the design of the switch per se.  jcassity provided diagrams for two modifications that should significantly diminish the current draw through the switch.  Of course, no modification can undo any damage already done to the switch, connectors and wiring due to excessive current load and a poor circuit design.

wiring question?

Reply #6
From what I understand from past building of a headlamp relay circuit for a Panther chassis is the main purpose is to redirect the power from fusebox to headlamp switch then to headlamp bulbs.  The upgraded design now uses the switch to just activate the switching on and off of the relays which are then powered up by the battery to run directly to the headlamps. Thicker guage wire and shorter distance from power source to bulbs means brighter headlights.

wiring question?

Reply #7
you nailed it beast50

until someone convinces me that the oem wiring is 90degC rated and "free air" rated, i have to judge the wire to be 75degC in bundled "conduit" so to speak.

there is a huge difference in the two.  I have not seen too many if any markings on the individual conductors to tell me the wire/insulation specifications.

pop out your tail lamp bulbs and look at the condition of the sockets, seems to be a lot of heat back there as well.

your explaination above is correct, the switch simply controls a relay , the relay contacts will then provide the power out to the device.