Skip to main content
Topic: Gave my 87 cougar some attitude (Read 4459 times) previous topic - next topic

Gave my 87 cougar some attitude

Well been awhile since I posted here, but here's what the cougar looks like now.

Say hello to my little friend....

Reply #1
Yup, that is a T76 on a bone stock non ho 302 with factory E7 heads.

Reply #2
Wow.  That is sweet!  I hope you keep the boost down.

Is that an On3 turbo kit?

Reply #3
That looks like On3performance standard 5.0 kit.  Im during the 351w swap with the on3performance kit.  Of course my car was an originally a 1986 2.3T car.  What are you doing for fuel management?  Being the stock injectors for the SO 5.0 are 14lb if memory serves.  Is your kit newer?

Travis

Reply #4
I got the startup chip (and it is almost bang on), 42lb injectors with calibrated maf. Did the mass air conversion, still gotta do the fuel pump, but it is not leaning out according to the wide band, so I am assuming that the fuel pump has already been done. The kit is one of the older kits, with some upgrades.

Reply #5
where can I get one of those batter hold downs?  been looking everywhere......................j/k :D

Reply #6
Im impressed....what is the power band like?  stock AOD?  When you upgraded to E7 you already put headgaskets on it.  Is that the front of a black SC I spy in one of the pictures?

Travis

Reply #7
Not stock aod at all, it is built with 2600 stall converter and 5k Trans Go shift kit. Also turbo coupe 8.8 rear with new posi and 3.73's. No I did not upgrade my heads they are stock non ho  (For some reason I thought they were E7s). No that is not a SC, but I got one of those too in dark blue

Reply #8
where can I get one of those batter hold downs? been looking everywhere......................j/k

That is NHRA approved, I am selling them for $100 a piece:)

On parade days you can just hang the excess length out the hood and you have a very nice streamer:)

Reply #9
So how much boost?  How does it feel?  Ill bet it is fun.

Travis

Reply #10
Stock wastegate setting, 8 to 10 psi, it depends what gear you are in, higher gear more boost for some reason...

Reply #11
The higher the gear the more load is put on the engine....ie higher boost.  Manual boost controllers are known for that.  Also higher boost in cold weather.  8-10 psi fluctuation isn't no big deal IMHO!

What exhaust?

Trav

Reply #12
No exhaust just downpipe at the moment

Reply #14
It is no big deal, all my turbo cars are open exhaust. I am more annoyed at the vibration from solid mounts and poly bushings than the exhaust. Once the car got tightened up the body groans everywhere you can hear it flexing around the doors and the motor vibrates like crazy. When the transmission shifts under light load the whole car jumps and clangs. Would have done things a little different if I would have known. Under WOT the car skates all over the road when it upshifts, except OD that one sucks and always shifts premature.