Skip to main content
Topic: Gatorbacks are back!! (Read 2180 times) previous topic - next topic

Gatorbacks are back!!

Reply #1
$320 a tire! . If it was $320 for a set of 4 I would pick up a 16" set for the Turbo Coupe wheels.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Gatorbacks are back!!

Reply #2
Wow...that's a lot of cash. Oh well, I'll stick with the 17 inch Nexxen tires. They have done the Sport well so far.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Gatorbacks are back!!

Reply #3
So factory OEM aside, what makes these tires appealing? They don't look like anything special to me.
2002 Honda Civic EX

1984 Ford Thunderbird Elan
5.0 CFI, T5, Dual Exhaust

Gatorbacks are back!!

Reply #5
If they sell many of those, they will have a "goodyear"!

Gatorbacks are back!!

Reply #6
I think I'll stick to my Nitto 555's

Gatorbacks are back!!

Reply #7
Quote from: EricCoolCats;395531
For that much, you might as well run TRX tires and rims again. Sheesh.

already doin' that.... :-)  didn't shell out big $$ though......

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Gatorbacks are back!!

Reply #8
Bought a new Xr7 back in 86.The tires were 250 each then.Those tire were great when the road was dry,but look out when it rained.

Gatorbacks are back!!

Reply #9
!
I was hoping Goodyear wouldn't do that.

I guess my hopes of selling my stash of original Gatorbacks for a good price are fading fast.
Oh well, at least mine still have the correct date codes going for them.
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

Gatorbacks are back!!

Reply #10
No thanks! I had a set of those once, and they were absolutely HORRIBLE in the rain. I was hydroplaning during even just mild showers. Just awful!

I used to buy Bridgestone RE960AS Pole Position tires, but they stopped making them for T/C rims so now I have Bridgestone Turanza Serentity's on. I've learned the hard way to go for top wet-weather performance if I don't want things getting too interesting in the Spring and Autumn.

What sold me on the Bridgestone grand touring line was a thread on a Seattle BMW forum. I was looking for the best wet-weather tires and they were swearing by them. I figure if they're tops in Seattle then that's good enough for me, and I've been happy with them ever since.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
5.0L Speed density
Explorer intake
'92 Mustang GT cam
GT-40 racing heads
Unequal length headers
Custom-made duals
19# injectors
65mm TB
AFPR
T/C header panel
11" brake upgrade