Skip to main content
Topic: raidator questions (Read 2649 times) previous topic - next topic

raidator questions

Reply #15
I bet it's made in China ;).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

raidator questions

Reply #16
im sure it is but it seems legit for what i need it to it to do.

raidator questions

Reply #17
Tom and Crazy 88 are both correct.  The radiator and engine are just air/liquid heat exchangers and surface area is king with heat exchangers.  To echo what Tom said the smaller three core that was using in my Coupe had a total core thickness of 1-5/8" where as the three core that is in the Bird has a total core thickness of 2".  The number of fins per inch from what I can recall is about the same so what gets the extra cooling capacity of the older GoDan unit is the additional thickness of the core which increases fin area.  The aluminum units will dissipate heat very well as well but again Tom has his math right and the denser brass/copper units will move more heat if the copper fins are bonded to the brass tubes correctly.  Read here for more on that:

http://www.hotrodhotline.com/md/html/aluminum_vs_copper.php

A lot of guys here in Texas run no glycol and utalize Red Line water wetter and some run just enough glycol both of which will lube the pump and keep the rusting down on the coolant system.  I am going to give Evans a try and see how it works as there is no water and the boiling point on the Evans fluid is around 375 Deg F in a non-pressurized system.  I will let you do your own research on which is better for your application.  If we just look at a pure deionized and distilled water system (better the water is the better it will cool as it will not scale) they key is to not boil the water (212 Deg F at sea level) so you don't get air pockets in the system as that acts as an insulator for the coolant to pull heat from the block and heads.  By utilizing a 16 lb radiator cap a pressurized system is created and the boiling point of the water is raised about 48 degrees to 260 Deg F. This is due to thermodynamics, in short the partial pressure of the liquid and all of that can be explained to you by searching it on the Wiki here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor_pressure

Hopefully that opens some eyes and minds.  Another argument is retention time of the fluid in the heat exchanger which directly deals with the time it takes a given mass of the heat media through a heat exchanger or mass flow rate.  Its a balance so you have to look at how much heat you can put into the media in the engine at a given flow rate and how much heat you can remove out of the media in the radiator at the same rate.  Hopefully the radiator can dissipate heat out of the heat media faster than the engine can put it in.

Hope this helped more than it confuses.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

raidator questions

Reply #18
And running a higher stat temp keeps the coolant in the radiator longer. Years ago we had a condition called over cooling. Guys used to remove the stat completely and the cars overheated. Reality is no matter how big a radiator is if the coolant passes through it to fast it wont cool down. As far as 3 cores goes as the number increases the efficiency of the extra rown decreases by a very fast rate. example a 1 row radiator is increased to a 2 row but that does not double it's cooling capacity. But increasing the fin count can sometimes accomplish the same thing. Adding a third or fourth row only increases it 's capacity. By less than 15%. So when designing a cooling system fin count water movement in the device and the amount of air and temp of that air drawn over it is the KEY!!! With that radiators are not very well understood as most always people think more rows mean better cooling. It does not. If you look at some MG ar some older cars you will notice an abundant of fins and both horizontal and vertical ones. And another point a vertical radiator is the worst for cooling as apposed to a horizontal fin arrangement. Thanks
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

raidator questions

Reply #19
I agree with everything you said Tom, but am a bit confused by your last statement.  It is my understanding that the orientation of the fins themselves isn't really the issue, but the flow of the coolant, vertical or horizontal, through the radiator.  Is my understanding correct or if not, could you elaborate further?

raidator questions

Reply #20
Quote from: Crazy88;396090
I agree with everything you said Tom, but am a bit confused by your last statement.  It is my understanding that the orientation of the fins themselves isn't really the issue, but the flow of the coolant, vertical or horizontal, through the radiator.  Is my understanding correct or if not, could you elaborate further?

Sorry i meant to say a vertical tube compared to a horizontal tube arrangement.  years ago vertical tubes were the norm. But changine the tubes to horizontal cools 28% better.

Example a 55 chevy or ford radiator had vertical tubes. The cougar you have and the TC i have has horizontal cooling  fins . The change to a horizontal tube was dun to make the system more efficient.

Note i am a CRAZY GUY!!! And when something is changed from the norm!!! Example making the cooling tubes horizontal it sparks something in my brain. I always say to myself why did they do that??? So i investigate it. Turns out it works much better. Another example is putting MOTH BALLS in the gas tank!!! Old timers used to do this thinking it INCREASED the octane of the fuel and the car ran better!!! Just the opposite it decreased the octane and made the engine PING. This actually removed carbon from the cylinders and their fore made the engine perform better. This is things that bug me as to why people do things. Another example is people disconnect a battery cable from a running engine to test the alternators output. This is something dangerous and can also mess a car up pretty bad. Including blowing up a battery and cause sereyous injuries. But people still do it ant think they are correct in that ridiculous procedure. Ok enough ranting on my part Thanks.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

raidator questions

Reply #21
Sorry double post!!

raidator questions

Reply #22
I've got a 3 core griffin radiator. It fits decent the only issue I'm having is my radiator cap is a pita to get off its a wee bit wider on the tanks so it puts the fill hole closer to the bend in the core support.

I have an e.fan with a fancy shroud that makes the fan stick out further than it really should and I have about 3/8 to half an inch between the pulley and the fan

raidator questions

Reply #23
I had that same issue with my radiator. I grabbed the Dremell, and removed a small bit of core support.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..