Skip to main content
Topic: Garage Floor Epoxy (Read 3698 times) previous topic - next topic

Garage Floor Epoxy

Hello again,

I posted awhile back for a good bit, then my wife had our son in October. My life was over for five months until he slept through the night. We just bought a house on the other side of Houston, in Pearland. Ive always regretted not doing something to the floor before i spilled oil and atf everywhere.

I read everything I could, and came away thinking the new polyurea/polyaspartic's are the best out there, but Im not paying $2,500 to have someone else do it. They have polyurea kits at big box stores for about $400. I bought that, then swapped for standard quikrete epoxy kits. Heck, Ive almost convinced myself to just take these back, and just prime it, and paint it with the cheap one part epoxy paint. That way, I can at least patch it easily.

Anyways, here I am. This is the garage as it sits now. We havent moved in yet.

Before:

The previous owner had all the precut sheets of plywood(3/4" birch, actually) for storms hung up in the garage randomly around, so I took those down that were touching the ground. You can see some stacked up on the shelves in the corner.

I pressure washed it, got real close on areas that were obvious oil spills, really tried to open up the concrete and rough it up. Scrubbed the acid(bond lok that comes in the epoxy kit) around, let it sit for about twenty minutes, rinsed, and pressure washed again. Looks pretty good, but I could still see a couple areas like below.

I went back today because I wasnt happy with the above areas and scrubbed with muriatic acid mixed in water 1:10. It foamed pretty good, then stopped fairly quickly. I scrubbed it around section by section, then rinsed really well. Im going to let it dry a few days before deciding to use the epoxy, or buy the bond lok I used out of the kit, and return the kits for some plain epoxy primer, and paint.

Input/ideas?
87 Thunderbird LX
65mm tb, exploder intake, iron gt40 heads, 1.6 rr, a9l mass air swap, 9.5" Billet Dirty Dog TC, Built AOD, 4.10's, 31 spline TLoc, Superior Axles, full sn95 five lug swap.

Garage Floor Epoxy

Reply #1
I'd opt for the epoxy, my laundry room/garage has epoxy primer and paint that I repainted a year ago and I can already see tearing and ripping in the paint. I think if you are going to do it just do it right.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Garage Floor Epoxy

Reply #2
I always thought it would be cool to have a black and white checkered tile floor in my garage.  Since I don't have one, I'll keep dreaming.  Some day, though, 12"x12" black and white checkered tile.

Garage Floor Epoxy

Reply #3
To be honest, I've seen several accounts of people using stick on VCT tiles with decent success. Supposedly, with a good coat of wax, and limited tire twist, they are rumored to work pretty well. If you have a garage that you don't have to turn in or out of, that might be an option.
87 Thunderbird LX
65mm tb, exploder intake, iron gt40 heads, 1.6 rr, a9l mass air swap, 9.5" Billet Dirty Dog TC, Built AOD, 4.10's, 31 spline TLoc, Superior Axles, full sn95 five lug swap.

Garage Floor Epoxy

Reply #4
I have carpet in the garage where the tbird sleeps.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Garage Floor Epoxy

Reply #5
I'm going to use the grey & black checkered 12"X12" industrial tile in my shop. Of course that's after I get the floor level, it kinda has a rather high middle.

Although in the main garage (where the wife will be parking), it'll be a combination of industrial carpet and tile.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Garage Floor Epoxy

Reply #6
I used a kit that Sherwin Willams sells in my last garage and was pretty happy with it. It was similar to the UCoatIt stuff. I seem recall it costing about $75/gal....

Garage Floor Epoxy

Reply #7
After the floor gets pumped up and a drain cut in...I'm going professional epoxy.
A neighbor of mine is a millionaire and has his garage floors done in epoxy. I don't think it's that much though...will have to find out. Anyway, his floors are amazing and I want that look. Once you see that kind of craftsmanship, you don't want anything else...

Garage Floor Epoxy

Reply #8
the epoxy primer overspray from my car, has yet to come off after 2 years... I'm going to use more of the same when I do the floors... it was only about $75 a gal
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Garage Floor Epoxy

Reply #9
I could have had a better quality epoxy done by a pro for about a grand. The new polyurea/polyaspartic material would have been $2700, but it is lifetime guaranteed. They do some amazing stuff with it. I figure with extra acid, and the standard big box store epoxy kit, this will be a $250 deal, all in.
87 Thunderbird LX

Garage Floor Epoxy

Reply #10
I used to work for centimark flooring back in the day doing epoxy floors, If you go that route prep is important. You could rent a floor buffer with heavy sandpaper to clean it up. The only thing I know that hurts epoxy is heat,it's some tough stuff.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Garage Floor Epoxy

Reply #11
This is a horrible DIY investment.

3 epoxy kits at $74 each, looking at 2, or 3 clear kits at $100 each. Im so sick of this.

This was the end of the first day of the epoxy going down. I hoped the wet look was the epoxy drying. No dice. Looked just like that yesterday when I went back to do the third kit. The second and third kits laid down better than the first because I laid them as thick as i could.

87 Thunderbird LX

Garage Floor Epoxy

Reply #12
FYI, if after this, you still want to do this, the Rustoleum brand kit at Home Depot is about $110 for a 2.5 garage kit, which is cheaper than the quikrete brand at Lowes. Just for the s out there, as I still say this sux.
87 Thunderbird LX

Garage Floor Epoxy

Reply #13
Did you roll the whole thing?
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Garage Floor Epoxy

Reply #14
I bought the Home Depot kit when I had a 20'X24' garage built at my old house. It suked and I ended up using 2 of the kits to get it just barely thick enough. For what I spent on sub-standard stuff, I should've bought the U-Coat it coating.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]