Skip to main content
Topic: EDIT: FOUND ONE 83-86 tbird Coin Tray - smooth finish (Read 1245 times) previous topic - next topic

EDIT: FOUND ONE 83-86 tbird Coin Tray - smooth finish

I was wondering if anybody had a coin tray with a non textured.. or Smooth finish?  My center console button area is smooth, and I currently have a textured coin tray.

Thanks! 

Kyle
===85BIRD===
:birdsmily:

Reply #2
Awesome! thanks.  I appreciate it.
===85BIRD===

Reply #4
[COLOR="darkred"][/COLOR]Deal...and

THANKS 1,000,000 !
===85BIRD===

Reply #6

Hey 88 turbo... I cannot reply to your PMs becasue your have exceeded your message limit. That is the wrong piece.  I am looking for the one that goes at the bottom... under my ash tray and switches... under the stereo.  See above picture for the part that I need. 

Sorry for the mis communication....
===85BIRD===

Reply #8
crud
===85BIRD===

Reply #9
When you say smooth, do you mean to say that someone refinished it by sanding and then painting it, since I believe that it is made from cast aluminum?  If so, you might consider masking your coin tray (the inner recessed coin part) and using 400-800 grit wet/dry sand paper, wet sand the "grain" surround to be smooth.  I believe that piece is molded dark gray plastic and if you take your time, the results would be acceptable.

Reply #10
I am looking for a coint/tray molded plastic piece that has a smooth finish like the center console piece that houses my window and mirror switches.  My switch console has a smooth finish  and not a bumpy/textured finish like the picture below.  I just figured  this was a common issue. 

I DO have a switch console that IS molded like my tray... but it has the round mirrow adjustment switch and not the Square switch like my current smooth one has.  So I figured that there has to be a console tray that has the smooth finish.  Perhaps I'm wrong??

Notice the texture on this tray... it is bumpy... not smooth.  I am looking for one that is smooth.... If it is not possible, then does anybody have a bumpy one that I can sand down to smooth?
===85BIRD===

Reply #11
Kyle,

I believe the textured ones were used on '83 an possibly '84 models (not positive about '84 but Eric may know). '85 and newer had the smoother finish.

Brent
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

Reply #12
good info.... thanks!
===85BIRD===

Reply #13
I think I have one of the smoother ones you are looking for.  I will check for you when I get back home on Sunday.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #14
Sounds like a winner, thanks!
===85BIRD===